Author Topic: Another video of my second hand $100 turbine  (Read 848 times)

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
Another video of my second hand $100 turbine
« on: November 22, 2021, 05:22:03 PM »
Another video of my second hand wind turbine working nicely !!!

It seems when the wind blows from the North it is much more powerful as no obstacles in the way , house/trees etc, have any pf you noticed much better performance when the wind blows from a certain direction , the weather channel reported 11mph but the turbine was working more like it was 20mph, cheers from England

https://youtu.be/Ibl86FO2Gvw

MattM

Re: Another video of my second hand $100 turbine
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 07:50:55 PM »
It looks like you are on a hill.  Is your better wind coming up or down the hill?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 01:06:30 PM »
I have open prairie in 3 directions so yes LOL Only had a few test mills up... decided solar was easier on my broken body than tinkering constantly. Plus winds here can destroy things fast! I get 6 months out of a high quality sewn American flag, 2 out of the cheap ones... winter winds can be sustained 60mph and gusting close to 90.... for 3 days...

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 06:13:00 PM »
It looks like you are on a hill.  Is your better wind coming up or down the hill?

No that is the angle filming close enough to the turbine to get the sound, it's real flat where I am but I have obstacles and only a 20 foot tower, but it works very well when the wind comes from the north.

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 06:14:36 PM »
I have open prairie in 3 directions so yes LOL Only had a few test mills up... decided solar was easier on my broken body than tinkering constantly. Plus winds here can destroy things fast! I get 6 months out of a high quality sewn American flag, 2 out of the cheap ones... winter winds can be sustained 60mph and gusting close to 90.... for 3 days...

I hear you my body is getting just like that :( getting old with injuries is not fun , yes windmills are way more work than solar but I am addicted :)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 08:23:12 PM »
What do you plan to do with the excess power? Lighting or pumping water?

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 08:25:55 PM »
When they forecast an east wind here, we can expect it to be stronger than forecast by about 20kph.

It is a downhill slope from the east, so i assume that the wind accelerates down the hill.  I think it is called downsloping winds, unless I misunderstand that term.

I'm not sure why yours would work better in flat terrain from one direction, but on a 20' tower there is a good chance that turbulence is a big factor. 

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 02:40:22 PM »
999..nice mill,,we’re your battery’s topped off  ?  Your AMP meter didn’t really show much power going In,,voltage was up but no real power going In ,,?
WILD in ALASKA