Formulas and calculators > Coil winding

Building the sickest® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

(1/10) > >>

brandnewb:
After having seen many commercial turbines fail, under-perform and otherwise not life up to expectation I have decided it is time to put an end to this sad state of affairs.

I see no other option than to take it upon my self to DIY a VAWT and alternator that actually works i.e. that outputs an insane® amount of power at low (safe) rpm. I am aiming at 60-120 rpm.

I am a total newb, brand new even (hence my username), in the field as well as electronics so I would really appreciate if you lot can guide me along the way. Maybe even stop me from making huge mistakes.

It should go without saying that what will be discussed here is not without danger. Please all take self responsibility when tinkering with (large scale) power generators.

At the moment I am struggling with the alternator. I have planned a 3 phase system with 2 stator disks each having about 754meters of copper wire at 1mm confgured for 96 poles. the magnets are 60x10x5mm neodymium.

I am new to this forum software and do not yet know how to insert images. I'll be so blunt then to link to a topic that I started elsewhere
https:// diysolarforum (dot) com/threads/building-the-sickest-®-vawt-ever-brilliant-minds-unite-please.31934

We will be discussing airfoils and soldering and what not but please allow me to first ask should I use wood or steel for the disks?

bigrockcandymountain:
How will you do 2 stator disks? Will you have 3 magnet rotors with one in the middle double sided? You definitely want steel for the discs, to make a return path for the magnetic flux. 

5mm is a very thin magnet for an axial flux.

96 poles wih only 10mm wide magnets might not work at all with the alternating poles cancelling each other out. 

How many watts are you wanting and at what wind speed?  A few things you said make me think you might have unrealistic expectations.  People have definitely tried what you are proposing, most with limited success. 

brandnewb:
disk 1 is a stator with ciols, disk 2 is the rotor with the 96 magnets and disk 3 is coils again slightly offset as to be able to string each of the 3 phases together.

How does inserting images work on this software? I need to resort to linking expernally for the time being ;(
diysolarforum . com/threads/building-the-sickest-%C2%AE-vawt-ever-brilliant-minds-unite-please.31934/post-391631
diysolarforum . com/threads/building-the-sickest-%C2%AE-vawt-ever-brilliant-minds-unite-please.31934/post-391587

currently the disks are OSB 18mm but I can get my hands on 1mm cold rolled steel at 820mm x 820mm

brandnewb:
Regarding the magnets. I already purchased, and have gotten, 48 of them. That was quite an investment so I really hope they can be of use.

I am looking to have the alternator produce something useful at 60 to 120 rpm. How much I don't know. The more the better

brandnewb:
I could settle for 48 poles as that was my original intend anyway. But I got carried away and thought to cramp as much poles as possible onto the 82 diam. rotor disk as possible

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version