Author Topic: First PMA With Lackluster Results  (Read 3946 times)

joestue

Re: First PMA With Lackluster Results
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2022, 11:52:37 PM »
I thought she was referencing the 2 phase proposal.

well the 2 phase proposal as drawn is one phase.

real 2 phase which is a 90 degree phase shift (per pole, so you divide by the number of poles to get physical degrees)

so anyhow any number of phases more than 1 is constant power unless you have an asymetrical phase shift. 2 phase motors and distribution systems did exist in the 1920's problem being you need 4 wires to distribute it. 3 wires and phases is easier.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Adriaan Kragten

Re: First PMA With Lackluster Results
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2022, 04:13:54 AM »
I thought she was referencing the 2 phase proposal.

2-phase rectification for a normal 2-phase winding (so with 90° phase difference in between the phases) is explained in chapter 6 of report KD 340. The fluctuation of the current is given in figure 9 of KD 340. The fluctuation is much stronger than for 3-phase rectification. There are two highest values and two lowest values within 360° phase angle. So the frequency of the fluctuation is double the phase frequency. A 2-phase winding with 180° phase angle in between the phases gives the same fluctuation of the DC current as for a 1-phase current and this therefore gives a very much higher torque fluctuation than for a normal 2-phase winding.

There is a difference in between a 2-phase asynchronous motor used on a 2-phase grid and a normal 2-phase generator which is rectified. A 2-phase grid creates a rotating magnetic field with a constant strength in the stator and therefore there is no fluctuation of the torque. This is because both phases are used all the time. But for a 2-phase generator which is rectified, the diodes of the rectifier make that a current is flowing in one phase only during 75 % of the time. This sudden change of the current in the coils causes torque fluctuations.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 05:18:44 AM by Adriaan Kragten »