Newbies > Newbies

VAWT Recommendations

(1/4) > >>

Crockel:
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking into building a grid tied VAWT for my acreage in Southern Alberta.
I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a 1000 Watt inverter and generator/alternator. There seems to be a lack of availability when it comes to grid tied inverters and alternators for wind turbines.
Thanks,

joestue:
why would you want to put the power back into the grid?

if you are getting paid a higher rate for the electricity you put back i can understand it.. in which case you could run a power cord to your neighbors house and pull power out of the grid and then push it back up the grid through your system.. i'm sure someone has thought of this before but i've never seen a headline for someone getting caught lol.

anyhow assuming you can get a system approved and built, you can add additional capacity later.
here is a product that might work for you, but it may not meet the code to be installed.
https://windandsolar.com/skymax-wind-grid-tie-inverter/

anyhow i would recommend just buy a 500 watt grid tie inverter and power it from a battery bank. use the wind turbine to charge the batteries. once you get such a system working mess with it later. the power loss from charging and discharging the batteries will be fairly minor depending on the frequency of charge and discharge. you may be able to find creative ways to limit the outflow of the grid tie inverter to match the wind turbine production, without turning it on and off and thus save the life of the batteries and minimize their degradation.

vertical axis wind turbines are usually less efficient, larger than horizontal wind turbines.

however depending on many other details you may find them easier to construct and work on.

if you're located near any large towns, call up hvac companies and ask them for their broken inverter fan motors. they are typically 1/3rd to 1 hp motors, at 1250 rpm, 10 or 12 poles, 56 C frame, and they have a 4" long 1/2" diameter shaft sticking out of them. most common failure is the magnets debonding (glue them back on). inverters failing (don't need them anyways) and the bearings failing (they use 6202 bearings)

they are relatively low sticking torque and can easily be re-wired for delta which means at 1200 rpm they will only produce about 100 vac.
Depending on your windspeed profile available and how big you want to build some turbines, you might use a belt drive to spin the generators, or just direct drive them. 

Bruce S:
joestue;
I would be careful with "Wind&solar" people, they used to be MissouriWind&Solar (As well as a few "other" named sellers), they've had a long history of NOT being very customer friendly.
They at one time created a login here to try and fix their horrible rating, to no avail. Since I live in Missouri, I even tried to help them fix their long standing horrible rating by explaining in great detail what they were posting and what the real world was seeing--- again to no avail---.

There are other Grid-tie inverters that have been talked about here.
IF you have a system that is based on their stuff and it's working as it should, I would love to see it posted here!

Respectfully submitted
Bruce S

Bruce S:
Crockel;
Perhaps if you give us a bit more information of what you are attempting, we can give you a better route.
There are both grid-tie inverters and even large VAWTs that are available ready-built. I've not tested any of the higher priced ones. Others on here have and continue to build and use VAWTs.
Do a search on this forum for VAWTs and have a long read , it may help with your designs.

I live in the "city" so mine are the little ones I purchased from Ed Lenz a full decade ago! Full little buggers.

I have an ECM motor given to me by GHURD that is still awaiting my LENZ2 wing builds.  :o (CAN U say retirement honey-do  ;D)

Cheers
Bruce S

bigrockcandymountain:
I'm east of medicine hat on the saskatchewan side of the border.  Welcome to fieldlines. 

Are you sure you want a vawt? They almost always underperform compared to a horizontal. 

For a generator, build your own.  That is my suggestion anyway.  The ones on the market tend to be cheap chinese crap.  If you do get one of these, make sure it is rated 3kw or higher if you hope for 1 kw. 

There aren't too many grid tied turbines on here.  Makenzie71 had a few charging a small battery and then backfeeding through a gti.  It worked ok.  That is by far the simplest. 

I don't know about alberta, but sask charges 14c / kwh and pays you 7c so you are twice as far ahead if you can just use what you produce and not backfeed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version