Author Topic: Long tine wind turbine results??  (Read 1117 times)

chrisski

Long tine wind turbine results??
« on: April 14, 2022, 09:19:12 PM »
Search did not turn anything up.

Looking for threads or stories of a successful long term wind project, whether its a multiple 5 kw turbines where nearly all the users power is generated from wind, or a smaller turbine that produces 10% of the power and solar produces the rest.

Here and elsewhere i see a lot of threads and stories of users starting a project, perhaps finishing or results of an experiment, but am having trouble finding long term results.

MattM

Re: Long tine wind turbine results??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 12:24:39 AM »
I've never found tine to be a very good fabric to construct anything.   >:D

j/k

You probably want to trek through the diaries.

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 02:59:45 AM »
My 3off 3.7m diameter wind turbines, made here to Hugh Piggotts design, have been up since 2008.

Last year, i think, i did publish KW hours they produced.

All is on this forum somewhere.

NOTE, The chinese manufacturers call this 3.7m diameter a 3KW machine, but i am happy with Hugh Piggotts design and for lobgevity limiting the machine to a 1KW, although i have seen 3.1KW for a brief second in a windy storm many years ago.

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 07:07:47 AM »
In The Netherlands, we had a test field for small wind turbines in Schoondijke at which several wind turbines have been tested during a period of about four years. The Dutch report "Resultaten testveld kleine windturbines Schoondijke" of December 2012 can be found using Google. Although the report is in Dutch, the figures and graphs can be understand by everyone.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 07:40:58 AM »

https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=150377.0

This should get you abit closer. Look for topics on periodic maintenance and replacing blades.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 05:35:52 PM »
The NREL has published many reports of long-term test results, for a number of small wind turbines.

This report documents the site they set up for the long-term testing:
https://www.nrel.gov/docs/legosti/old/21677.pdf

Search their site for results from specific turbine tests:
https://nrel-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo-explore/search?vid=Pubs&lang=en_US

Also...
Any reputable producer of small wind turbines that has gained a SWCC certificate now has the data collected from at least a year or more.
https://www.smallwindcertification.org/certified-turbines/
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

OzSolar

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 09:15:00 AM »
Hello!  First post and it's a long one so sorry.

I've searched this forum and others as well and continue to be stunned by the utter lack of long term results, particularly for commercially made small wind turbines.  If you do find anything it's for the Hugh Piggott brake drum design which have amazing longevity.

SparWeb and Adrian thanks for the links and suggestions to the Netherlands report.  I've taken the time to scan all those reports.

I was very impressed that most of turbines made it 4 years in the Nederland's test.  Best I could tell is that sadly most (all?) of those companies are now gone. 

That NREL link isn't about long term turbine test results.  Rather it's about the testing site details and the testing methods but I didn't see any mention of specific turbines results.

I did search NREL using numerous search terms and did not find any studies, short or long term, that detail the production (or anything) of a small wind turbine.   Granted I'm not most savvy searcher.

Regarding SWCC:

SWCC puts the Bergey 10 at 13,842 annual KWH's at a 5MS (11.1MPH) site which to be honest floored me.   I'm trying to rationalize that with just how far apart from the production numbers I've personally seen.  So that's an average of 1154 KWH/month which at most sites would likely work out to the some months being over 3,000 and others being less than 500.

I've been around almost ten Bergey 10's.  All of them were well sited on 100' or taller towers with conservative annual wind speeds of 11 to 15 mph verified by wind maps and on site dataloggers.

On thier BEST months not a single one of them ever exceeded or even got close 1150kWH.  Keep in mind SWCC rates them at an average of 1,153 KWH/month.   Some of them would hit 700 kWh/month just one or twice per year then spend the rest of the time struggling to get past 200 kWh/month.   None of them ever made more than 5,000 kWH in a year.  A pretty stunning difference between the SWCC number of almost 14,000kWH.

So I spent sometime trying to understand the difference between what I saw with vs. what was claimed.   Turns out that SWCC isn't actually testing anything itself but please spend a few minutes on thier website to verify for yourself.

ICC-SWCC does not conduct tests, but verifies and certifies test results submitted by approved testing organizations. Applicants should obtain ICC-SWCC approval for the use of a testing facility before commencing work to ensure that the resulting test report can be used for ICC-SWCC certification.

Look what else I found in the application process. 
"Testing
Applicants who have not already conducted testing, may choose to use testing laboratories that are accredited or non-accredited to ISO 17025 or conduct the testing themselves (subject to ICC-SWCC requirements). "

Manufacturers are allowed to self certify thier turbines so keep that in mind when you suggest that people look for SWCC.

If you read any part of this as argumentative please don't because it wasn't meant to be.  I'm just a guy who's been burned and seen a lot of people burned badly by small wind manufacturers.  I'm just trying to help others know what they are they getting themselves into should they choose to buy a commercially made small wind turbine.

It's quite worth noting that High Piggott has helped many people DIY what almost no manufacturer has been able to do. 

makenzie71

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 06:23:41 PM »
What exactly are you looking to learn?  From a hobby perspective you can see a LOT of what I've been doing over the last several years on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/c/toysforwatts

There's a ton of stories and posts here from homesteaders and long term projects, as well as on YouTube.

Adrian Kragden has a HUGE resource of projects and tests and results and he's constantly updating his material as well as sharing the results freely.

A lot of the people who are genuinely in it for the long haul aren't really talking about it online...half the reason to be able to make your own power is to be able to fully disconnect from the rest of the world.

adobejoe

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2022, 11:16:10 PM »
OZ Solar, I have had a Bergey 10 excel up since 2004 here in northern WY on a 60 ft tower.  I average 22 kWh daily or about 8,000 kWh annually.  I have NEVER been up the tower and have had minor issues.  I see about 2-3 line trips a year, and had to replace the control board (under warranty) a year after install.  I also have blown the 50 amp inline fuse on generator side a couple times.  The original xantrex inverter is acting a little funky, clunks when engaging and the LCD screen cannot be read. I also had an issue caused by cutter bee casting in the disconnect at base of tower.  The manual throw switch lost contact on one of three because the bees got in the box, made nests in top and they dried, dropped, and wedged contact apart.  One of three phases went outand tower was vibrating really bad.  Impressed with machine, but it will still be another couple years before it “pays for itself” based on energy generation.  Andy

makenzie71

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 11:24:34 PM »
OZ Solar, I have had a Bergey 10 excel up since 2004 here in northern WY on a 60 ft tower.  I average 22 kWh daily or about 8,000 kWh annually.  I have NEVER been up the tower and have had minor issues.  I see about 2-3 line trips a year, and had to replace the control board (under warranty) a year after install.  I also have blown the 50 amp inline fuse on generator side a couple times.  The original xantrex inverter is acting a little funky, clunks when engaging and the LCD screen cannot be read. I also had an issue caused by cutter bee casting in the disconnect at base of tower.  The manual throw switch lost contact on one of three because the bees got in the box, made nests in top and they dried, dropped, and wedged contact apart.  One of three phases went outand tower was vibrating really bad.  Impressed with machine, but it will still be another couple years before it “pays for itself” based on energy generation.  Andy

What kind of wind do you normally have?  My long term goal is to have a 5~10kw turbine in my field and I'm always looking for something like a used Bergey...but I get 10kw/day out of my iSta Breeze Heli 2.0, for the cost of even a typical used Bergey I could put up four of these Heli turbines.  I always expected people to be getting 30~40kwh/day out of them (assuming they're in a good place for wind).

makenzie71

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 11:26:44 PM »
Even my i2000 is making about $.75 worth of power per day, which is a little over 2 years to pay off :/

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 12:10:11 AM »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2022, 12:10:42 AM »
Oh, and I will spare you the links to the Mariah Windspire.  It was an utter disaster!
www.sparweb.ca

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 11:55:50 PM »
Hugh replied - he has indeed participated in some long-term tests of small wind turbines on the sunny isle of Scoraig.

https://scoraigwind.co.uk/2020/07/jon-learys-performance-study-of-scoraig-wind-turbines-published/

There were several turbines tested during the trail, most built according to Hugh's Recipe Book.
The article also lists other similar trials, which may lead to more useful data.
www.sparweb.ca