Author Topic: Power furling - shut down  (Read 888 times)

kitestrings

Power furling - shut down
« on: May 05, 2022, 01:19:37 PM »
This time of year the days are getting longer, but the winds are still very strong... sometimes alternating, sometimes on the same day.  Recently we've had a few days where it starts out overcast in the morning; sunny in the afternoon.

On this morning we were running 600-1,500 watts most of the morning.  When the sky started to clear, I decided to shut it down.  This is the most passive way I know.  Here's the sequence:

Running normally, the turbine is free to furl based on thrust on the rotor
14822-0

Actuator is extended
14823-1

Aux1 initiates the actuator traveling to the retracted pre-set, furled position
14824-2

About 30-40 seconds later it looks like this
14825-3

Up top, it looks like this
14826-4

The rotor slows, but continues to spin dependent on wind and direction.  Aux2 closes in the 3-phase load bank, effectively braking the rotor.
14827-5

The rpm gage, which had started around 120-160 rpm, now reads about 5 rpm or less.  We can ride through almost any wind in this mode.
14828-6

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: Power furling - shut down
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 05:51:22 PM »
Very cool write up.

If'n there were a smart-jenn hanging up out back of my place... one thing I can think of I'd like to know is twists on drop lines, a rotation counter to see if its gotten eleventeen banked twists versus original dangle...  I mean it'd just be my luck the minute I'm confident its safe the coriolis effect, full moon and furly forces would pinch my drop lines...

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 04:13:44 AM »
wow that is a really cool idea, did it take much work , does the cable go inside the pole ? cheers , Gavin

kitestrings

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 10:31:57 AM »
Hi Dan, gsw,

Our goal had always been to have the “smarts” in the house/control room and keep things as simple as possible on the tower.  I still think that is best.  Up top we basically have a minimum number of moving parts, 1) a fixed pitch, direct-drive rotor/axial (no gearing or transmission), 2) a head assembly that yaws to follow the wind, and a 3) hinged tail for governing.  There are no slip-rings.  Everything else is ground-level, inside… the charge controllers, rectifiers, tachometer, load diversion & clipping.

We also incorporated a line for manual furling with a small hand winch at the base of the tower.  When there are threatening level winds, or the power is not needed the hand winch allowed it to be shut down.

This is the sheave:

The actuator came along later, but allows this to happen from the house which is nice when there are ferocious winds, &/or horizontal rain or snow.  It also is tied to the charge controller, so the shutdown is automated and adjustable.  We been in this mode since about 2017.

Regarding twists in the cable – a couple of contributors (Sparweb, others?) here have tracked wind direction and rotation counts, perhaps they will chime in.  Our approach has been to have a twist-lock plug & receptacle near the ground with a generous drip loop.  The cable is stranded SO and it hangs freely from the top some 86’ up.  Periodically I unplug and let the line untwist.  I guess I do this every 3-6 mos… more if I notice more twists, and they're easy to see form the ground.
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

This is the typical start-up; a shutdown is just the reverse sequence of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tecGNiydJd8

kitestrings

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 10:36:30 AM »
This attachment wasn't correct, sorry.  Here is the twist lock plug & receptacle (50A)

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 01:38:50 PM »
Sweet simplicity - no loose strands smushed through pipe, and a manly drip loop not as an afterthought: Five Attaboy points to House Kitestrings.. .  :)  Thanks for the details!

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 09:25:01 PM »
Twisting cables - yeah it's happening all the time with mine.  About one revolution per week, winter and summer.
Even now, I've got to untwist it again.

If any of you have a weather station that records data in a database on your computer, you can suck it into a spreadsheet like Excel, and then make a counter in the spreadsheet for every time the recording goes clockwise and counter-clockwise.  Check the increments in whole a revolution and then add up all of the increments for the year.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

kitestrings

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 09:59:32 AM »
I don't know how many twists it could accommodate before it became a problem.  I might guess a couple dozen or more, but what would be a problem long before it pulled anything apart in our case is that there would be too much restriction on the Dyneema pull line.  The actuator control does have a "retreat" safety feature.  It does a speed check after reading the actuator position.  It will retract a small amount, then do another speed check.  If the arm is being restricted by something it will stop and extend to the max pre-set.  To my knowledge this has never happened.

Taking Dan's Coriolis, full moon scenario to extreme - and we always consider worst case - let's say it is neglected, and the thing twists into an ever tightening ball.  Eventually the cord gets pulled such that something pulls apart, most likely at one end.  Electrically we have either a short, and the rotor brakes, or an open and the rotor runs unloaded.  Not desirable in either case, but the furling is still mechanically operational.  There is nothing related to this design feature, or the failure scenario that would result in the tail being held in an unfurled position.  In some ways it is no worse than having your load diversion, and/or clipping circuit fail.  Eventually the batteries are full and we run unloaded.  There'd be lots of cyclic furling and unfurling, but we should survive it (at least for awhile).

The flip-side is that the line could be restricted in the furled position due to a failure in the control circuit, or the actuator, but this only means it doesn't open when you want it to start until the condition is corrected.

The principle design I don't claim as original, it has been proven on countless earlier designs such as Quirks, Dunlite, Sencenbaugh and early water-pumper mills which used mechanical furling as a protection measure.  Ours has been working for us since 2013 with the manual winch; since 2017 with the actuator added (perhaps an original enhancement?).  Overall, it's been very reliable, and IMO pretty easy to maintain.

And a minor footnote... isn't the Coriolis effect/force kind of like "apparent" power, something perceived, but not "real", or am I remembering this wrong?  Maybe not a good analogy because apparent power can be measured, right, but Coriolis I had thought was fictitious, or at least not conclusively proven?  I may have to Google this one, but I'm betting the pilots here will know...

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 09:53:46 PM »
I dunno if it's the Coriolis effect but the wind made two whole revolutions around the compass today!

Anyway...  Coriolis effect is real, because the Earth is turning.  Take that flatearthers!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

kitestrings

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 08:52:11 AM »
The earth is turning?  In our neighborhood it is the sun that moves.  I'm sure it is a government sponsored illusion... 'Birds aren't Real'  ;)