Homebrewed Electricity > Solar

Time to upgrade

(1/4) > >>

ruddycrazy:
G'day Guy's,
                     Well it is close to 20 years we have been off the grid and with winter coming on and the cost of fuel going thru the roof I may be onto a lets say a good deal to get 15off 415 watt PV panels for around 4K which is the city price for PV. I have tried for a couple of years now but as soon as I say I'm off grid well the quote trebles.

This came from replying to a FB add where I got a PM off a guy where engrish wasn't a native language, so all this sounded like a scam so I asked for a quote in writing and got one where I reckon either this was a good scam or it could even be legit. So for a laugh sent a reply on FB and got a answer a bit later here's the number of my manager. So I finally checked and yes this company is legit as stopping at the address listed did show a company name.

So now I have just asked for the solar panels only and here is the quandary 15 415 solar panels is about 6.6Kw and around 200 amps on a good sunny day can be expected.

I am a fan of the Outback MTTP's and have a FM 60 on the old kaneka's where the best I see is 30 amps.  So with that if I bought a smaller MTTP and FM 80's that should be enough to handle the input or is there a better cost solution as the cost of will be near the cost of the solar..

So with large solar array what do you guy's do as I reckon I need a hand here. As I have told she who knows best an electric car will do for local trips but we need the solar to charge it.

Trying local mobs they just see the dollar signs so it will be nice to see what others do.

Cheers Bryan

mab:
If your main inverter will accept backfeeding from a grid tie inverter that would be a cheap way of connecting as gtis are usually quite cheap 2nd hand, but you do need to have a means of disconnection  or diversion when the battery is full.

If the panels have a mpp voltage that's close to float volts of the battery (60cell panels) then you can use cheap PWM or on/off regulators - although that would require cabling from the panels to the battery that could handle 200A.

I can't help on mppt controllers as I've not had much experience with them.

bigrockcandymountain:
I think the fm80 outback is probably still the best value.  Looks like about $700 Canadian retail. 

Outback has a newer 100a mppt with built in arc fault for the new wiring codes.  Its big money though.  Retail  $1650

The midnite classic 150 will output 96a.  Also pretty big money unless you can find a used one.  They can be linked together so they all agree when to go to float etc.  Maybe outback can too.  I have 2 classics and really like them.  Retail lists at $1200 cad

Morningstar tristar has mppt models too.  They are about the highest $ per amp output, but don't have cooling fans so totally sealed and no moving parts.

There are cheap asian models, but i can't say anything good about them. 

That will be one heck of a system when you add all that solar. 

kitestrings:
We've had both.  Our original PV controller is an Outback MX60.  Can't say anything bad about it.  It's been reliable.  I do like our MS Classic's though.  A lot more features, and support that is second to none.  Best, ~ks

Bossrox:
Look at growatt chargers. I've got 6 going on to 7. I get the 120 ampers over at signature solar for $369 + shipping. I've fried 4 victrons so far & these growatts beat the snot out of 'em @ half the price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version