Remote Living > Housing

Best practices to finish living space in a pole shed

(1/4) > >>

DanG:
Seeking best practices (and Code compliant) advice to finish a living space in an existing pole shed -

A Minnesota 36x60 shed/shop sitting on 10 acres of well forested land, the building is two sheds sharing an open common wall -- NO blueprints or as-built drawings or notes exist, it has 200 amp electrical service...

The low roof side is 900 sqft with steel siding ceiling and ancient R30 cellulose insulation. Walls are exterior steel siding direct to girts, no sheathing or vapor barrier. I really* don’t want to pull the steel off ( really .).

To start - I was thinking 1-1/2” polyiso insulation laid on back of siding between 2x6 girts THEN complete coverage from the inside with plywood sheathing for strength, sound & mouse proofing & ensuring gaps among the 6x6 posts get sealed --- then start the framing for interior walls.

I asked a spray-foam insulation guy to look it over, a great price but he was like slap tyvek up then worry about everything else later - how to keep it mouse & draft proof, tie in interior walls etc. was beyond him…

Pictures: building front view, unused 20-year-old pex in-floor heating showing wall framing, a view into shop area - and for giggles two sunshine maps for longest/shortest days defining cleared area required with my 95-foot obstacle trees..

So, how to proceed?

((Forum software refuses to upload .jpeg photos from this iPhone, requires .jpg formet, I'll look for workaround later))

Mary B:
Check with your county zoning first. They are the last say in what can be done. When I built my pole garage it had an insulated floor, 8" in the walls, steel liner panel inside. I didn't heat it this winter and the coldest it got was 28f. I am down in the SW corner of MN so had plenty of sub zero days. Hardest part to seal is the overhead door, rest is pretty draft free. Even went double pane windows! Attic space got R50 blown in insulation. If I would ever need to turn half into a house I would do electric heat under a click in place vinyl wood floor and natural gas forced air to add on to it. Electric in floor is just to keep floor comfortable.

DanG:
Thanks MaryB... Yeah, speak to Code troopers, wah.  :)

and I need/want 5/8 or 3/4 wood sheathing, spray foam can go on inside the plywood... Property is in a Tornado Alley - looking at the nearby 20+ 100-year-old oaks snapped off 12 or 16 feet off the ground says overbuild where wimmen & children sleep, storm twister skipped-passed over me and got a church & Ford dealer 4 miles away last Fall...

SO, not pulling the siding to sheath it in the traditional way, no sir.

Adding sheathing "inside", anyone got hints or clues to share?

If its between a new iphone and R-9 of extra insulation, the Apple lost a sale.

DanG:
Photo error:

4859930E-F2EC-4A81-AFD2-B1DE49823722.jpeg.
You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are doc,gif,jpg,mpg,pdf,png,txt,zip,eprt.

DanG:
Screeshot saved to file & renamed, supposed PNG from image info

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version