Remote Living > Housing

Best practices to finish living space in a pole shed

<< < (2/4) > >>

DanG:
'more attachments' fails, one per post.

DanG:
Sticky 'the message body left empty' error even on restart & refresh..

DanG:
Non-empty text area, only one attachment allowed

bigrockcandymountain:
If it was me I would do 1-1/2 rigid foam between the girts like you suggested.  Then I would blow in cellulose between the posts.  You'd have to add some framing but you need that anyway to sheath the inside.  Probably just a 2x4 16" centers with the inside flush with the inside of the posts.

Then you can use drywall for sheathing the inside and holding back the cellulose.  The cellulose can be installed with a special blower behind netting or do what i did and blow it in 4' at a time while you tamp it from the top by hand.  The last bit has to be done from the attic and really sucks.  Can be done quickly with any blower for cheap though.

I can't say enough good about dense pack cellulose.  It's cheap and recycled and stops air movement.  10x better value than spray foam in my opinion. 

Do 6 mil poly and drywall as usual on the inside.  Seal all your wiring boxes etc with vapour varrier boxes etc.  I like acoustic sealant for the screws of the drywall too.  I'm pretty obsessed with air tightness though.

Rodent control sucks no matter what type of insulation.  Fiberglass being the worst, cellulose is pretty good.  They don't really like it. 

Do what you are doing and if the code inspector finds fault, find another code inspector.  Ha ha that's my best solution there.

That's a beautiful spot.  I hope you post lots of pictures.  The pole barn home has definitley been done before with great success.

DanG:
resave & resize ell, then 3rd party software so youse mooks can see pixies :/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version