Miscellaneous > Logged in diaries

Theorectical benefit of ferro magnet holder for generator

<< < (2/22) > >>

brandnewb:
Please help me translate this all please

Do I use a non magnetic conductive housing material for the magnets or should the housing be magnetically conductive?

SparWeb:
Let me see if I can clarify your own question.
Ferromagnetic materials include iron, nickel and cobalt.
https://www.moleymagneticsinc.com/a-comprehensive-list-of-ferromagnetic-materials/

--- Quote ---... when I look at a store bought 3 phase 12 sector magnet pole generator the magnets are housed in a laminated iron sheet holder.
--- End quote ---
Yes, that's normal.  Most axial alternators do have an iron or steel backing plate to hold the magnets.  So the literal interpretation of your question is yes, most of these alternators have that.

Is there a chance you are trying to ask about something else?

brandnewb:

--- Quote from: SparWeb on June 11, 2022, 08:23:15 PM ---Let me see if I can clarify your own question.
Ferromagnetic materials include iron, nickel and cobalt.
https://www.moleymagneticsinc.com/a-comprehensive-list-of-ferromagnetic-materials/

--- Quote ---... when I look at a store bought 3 phase 12 sector magnet pole generator the magnets are housed in a laminated iron sheet holder.
--- End quote ---
Yes, that's normal.  Most axial alternators do have an iron or steel backing plate to hold the magnets.  So the literal interpretation of your question is yes, most of these alternators have that.

Is there a chance you are trying to ask about something else?

--- End quote ---
Let me try wording it differently.
Why is it normal for axial generators to house their magnets in a laminated iron sheet backing? Is there anything beneficial to be had in terms of power generation potential?

For a DIY generator should the magnets be magnetically attracted to the material these magnets are in? If so why?

electrondady1:
yes iron backing helps to contain and redirect the magnetic flux

JW:

--- Quote ---On the other hand when I look at a store bought 3 phase 12 sector magnet pole generator the magnets are housed in a laminated iron sheet holder. So this is what lead me to wonder if that holds any merit.
--- End quote ---

you need to understand what your saying, Magnet circuit magnetic rotors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version