Author Topic: generators: ideal target rpm for target voltage  (Read 4906 times)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: generators: ideal target rpm for target voltage
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2022, 12:44:39 PM »
completely off topic.

My government does not allow for firearms so I have non. The amount of hoops to jump through to legally own one are many and I am not scared enough yet to jump through them.

I do want to learn more about the ability to create personal body armor because even though illegal here, there are some weirdos that actually do carry them illegally.

So who here has got a 3d printer or wants to get one? Who here legally can get a firearm and most importantly is responsible and knows how to use them.

This means that anyone under the age of 30 years of age is disqualified!!! Sorry kids,. grow up some more and then we'll talk again.

I'd like to stage a test in where we see how much of wall lines it takes using carbon fiber filled filament to stop a modest bullet. So I am not talking about the big ones. Just something that one is most likly to come accross in a general mugging scenario.

EDIT: I'll ship the cabon PLA and also supply the STL, GCODE files.
Perhaps I'l even donate a 3d printer if the circumstances feel correct.

Carbon fiber won't stop a bullet in any thickness you would want to wear! Need kevlar fibers and that rules out 3D printing because the fibers have to be woven mat. high density polyethylene has some bullet resistance but it is thick and usually used as a spall shield in front of AR-500 steel plate to catch bullet fragments.

I live rural, own many guns including that really scary AR-15 semi auto rifle that operates the same as my semi auto Winchester 1905 that is 117 years old... police response time here is 45 minutes on a good day... hours if the deputy is tied up in the other end of the county. Sheriff told us we need to self police! Scare off or detain the bad guy... his version of detain I won't go into LOL

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2022, 01:07:05 PM »
This topic was split into "Re: generators: ideal target rpm for target voltage" -

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2022, 01:17:17 PM »
Im going to have to get with TechAdmin to move this to the Pub. We will clean things up after that. I the meantime post how you would like. Ive got an issue with some server access will do my best to do this as fast thats possible.

JW

brandnewb

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2022, 08:33:12 AM »
ugg gang :( it's still too stiff. I tried printing the same section but this time without a bottom and top skin.

I do not know of a scientific way of testing rigidity but I can tell it improved ever so slightly (in this context that means it became more bendable) using only my hands. Just not enough to my taste.

So I am now going to up the anty by a lot. Going for a nozzle size of 1mm rather than the puny 0.4mm that comes as default.

The Cura slicer software can already tell me that print times will go from 4 hours to 1 hour and 17 minutes. Not bad.

But rest assured that there will be a lot of tweaking involved which I happen to excel at ;) I'll get to the bottom of this!!

I might end up creating an automated way of resizing images I take with my phone to no greater than 2MB. So keeping one updated with actual images is less involved.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2022, 09:27:05 AM »
Ya I have to use image composer to resize my jpegs, most cameras just have so much resolution you have to resize them.

MattM

« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2022, 07:11:39 PM »
My wife used to post lots of pictures.  I found Fast Stone Image Viewer is excellent for batch processing.  If you have 8k pictures it makes no sense to post them where they get processed down to 1280 or 1024 maximum width/heighth.   I turned her 4 meg pictures down to 100-150k jpegs.

brandnewb

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2022, 01:38:14 PM »
at the risk of too chatty.

I do have to do it.

I just failed hard of replacing my 0.4 to a 1.0 nozzle

I am not sure what it is, as I have done it before but now it is simply not giving.

More to follow gang :(

MattM

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2022, 07:15:36 AM »
Did you increase the heat and warmup times for the larger tip?  Or is this an overextrude issue on the infill?  The only other thing that tends to be an issue is how close you start to the bed, as the big tip needs to start further off.

brandnewb

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2022, 05:36:34 AM »
I meant the physical replacing of the nozzle went about as hard as a moon landing.

I did manage though eventually using the very wise words of our ancestors;
If brute force is not working, you are not applying enough of it. ;)

really bad advice though. just a joke.

I am now well underway trying different configurations with a 1mm nozzle.

I think I am nearing now a configuration that has the right flexibility. Sure one section will break at some point but that should be no problem. That is why I print in sections rather than full print volume height. So that we can replace those unfortunate sections if need be and also perhaps improve on they structural fitness for purpose as the outer shape will still be the same.

It could lead to weight instability issues though down the line but that bridge I'll cross when I actually get there.

I am still waiting for the 20mm diameter aluminum rods to arrive. It is really frustrating now to not be able to start large scale production yet as I first need to make sure the rods can actually fit well.

14903-0

Things are looking now around 37 minutes of print time with this rather up-sized nozzle, But boy did I need a lot of tweaking. I told you so ;)

ADDITION: right now we are having 14.2 m/s winds. why I am not ready yet!!!?? :)

ADDITION 2:I am just too intimidated by FEMM. Sorry guys I have to stick to the trail and error route ;( Why is this not standard curriculum in elementary school? ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 05:56:45 AM by brandnewb »

brandnewb

« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2022, 06:28:19 AM »
ohhh fudge. Sorry JW. But I have been postponing this question for far too long.

Does it make any sense to try and utilize both sides of the rotor with coils or do the physics suggest that just adding a steel disk to rotate along like SparWeb suggests is just better? Maybe not better but equal in terms of flux yield. But certainly better in ease of construction.

I am not really aiming for the best ever efficient design. I am looking to design something that is easy to build and multiply for a post apocalyptic world.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2022, 07:57:59 PM »
Howdy,
(Sorry I took so long to comment; been on vacation; you may have made this thing already)

I just noticed the pattern on your screen-capture.  The reinforcements inside it don't look too stiff - the circles are fine but the "eye" shapes will just fold up and crack.  Give up on the swoopy curves and just make straight-up ribs in the cross-section. Like this:

leading edge (  I  I  O  O  I  I  > trailing edge

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2022, 01:30:09 PM »
TSR is related to "tip speed rotation"
[/quote

TSR is related to the tip speed ratio. So this is the ratio in between the tip speed Vtip and the undisturbed wind speed V far before the rotor. The tip speed ratio is normally given as the Greek letter lambda. In my public report KD 35, lambda is given by formula 1.3 and 1.5.

brandnewb

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2022, 08:28:34 PM »
I am not sure what happened here but I am back ;)

Thanking all for contributions and also;

Stacking magnets, as far as I have being able to ascertain, does only lead to a modest increase of fields strength (lets hope I again did it wrong)

both magnets measured from the very center measured about 303 mT

Once stacked fieldlines did increase. however not nearly close to 100%
423 mT

I have already learned from my earlier mistakes that the angle of the sensor is of matter. ( Thank you again Marry)
However, My findings keep showing me that we need more scientific scrutiny to see what is going on here.
my peer review offer still stands

« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 03:32:22 AM by brandnewb »

brandnewb

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2022, 08:38:52 PM »
yes thank you bro for contributing. Indeed that does increase stiffness.

Perhaps you and I can think more about how stiff a blade needs to be. But lets do that once I have my turbine spinning.

I think a little flexibility will help in reducing the maintenance cost. But I will admit I might be well mistaken ;)

Howdy,
(Sorry I took so long to comment; been on vacation; you may have made this thing already)

I just noticed the pattern on your screen-capture.  The reinforcements inside it don't look too stiff - the circles are fine but the "eye" shapes will just fold up and crack.  Give up on the swoopy curves and just make straight-up ribs in the cross-section. Like this:

leading edge (  I  I  O  O  I  I  > trailing edge

brandnewb

« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2022, 03:27:08 AM »
also a tradittionally arranged magnet disk will produce around 234 milli volts at 60 rpm. a repelling arranged disk will produce around 243 milli volts at 60 rpm.

During my absence  I have proposed on a different forum for people to peer review my findings.

I am willing to send all I have to someone willing and able to confirm or refute my findings.

All I know at the moment that simulations are maybe not the best way forward. Better to take things more practical for me at least.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2022, 11:28:00 PM »
I think I get your meaning, but peer review is really just an academic thing.
It's also a lot of work, and implies that somebody's getting a salary...

We're more likely to throw popcorn, you know.  It's the internet.  Whaddya expect?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

brandnewb

« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2022, 10:04:43 AM »
I understand. never let it be said I was not ready to back up my claims.

anyway an iron filled magnet disk blows all other configurations, including traditional, out of the water.

No need to thank me for this finding ;) Let the world enjoy

kitestrings

« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2022, 11:15:24 AM »
...as long as it starts.  Isn't cogging the issue with an iron core?

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2022, 07:07:42 PM »
Quote from: SparWeb
We're more likely to throw popcorn, you know.  It's the internet.  Whaddya expect?

MagnetJuice

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2022, 11:59:04 PM »
anyway an iron filled magnet disk blows all other configurations, including traditional, out of the water.

That is a BOLD statement to make without showing numbers.

Please tell us the tests that you ran, and the voltages obtained for different configurations.

And don’t forget to post pictures of the setup that you used.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

brandnewb

« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2022, 07:51:45 AM »
hahhaha Ed,

I actually already did give the figures, the test method, the distance. And let's not forget the opertunity for anyone to peer review my findings on my costs.

I do not want to sound grumpy, even though I am a bit, so please let me find the nicest way to word this.

Hmm not sure I can manage but here goes.

Ever since I applied for an account here I was met with resistance. My application was ignored for farrr too long and it took members from another forum to get me acknowledged.

Then I finally got in.. thank you JW!

But then other issues came about. Rather than homing on the actual questions I had I ended up having to proof/demonstrate my angle.
I did however do that!!!

Given my BOLD statement, some of you even went the theoretical route and try to predict things.But I was able to quickly demonstrate that theoretical route was erroneous.

Ahh also let's not forget me being permanently banned, and then find much later that permanently means temporarily and me trying to reach out to JW but there is no feedback.

So I'll ask you again Ed, how did you get your numbers? Please enable all of us to a peer review.

Also I am still willing to send my disks on my costs around the world to have them peer reviewed.

How is that for a BALD statement?

EDIT: So for me I have been able to refute every concern raised thus far. And I have not gotten any clear concise answer to my questions.
If this edit leads to another 'permanent' ban I will be sad, but it has to be out here. I will accept my fate if it comes to that.

Just know you guys are then missing out on my path.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 09:05:13 AM by brandnewb »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2022, 11:07:58 AM »
Just for the record, I think that I do the bulk of (manual) admissions to FL, and even when I am on holiday that's rarely over 48h unless there's something dodgy about the application.

You do seem to have had an unusually rough ride for some random reasons, sorry about that.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

brandnewb

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2022, 04:32:54 PM »
Just for the record, I think that I do the bulk of (manual) admissions to FL, and even when I am on holiday that's rarely over 48h unless there's something dodgy about the application.

You do seem to have had an unusually rough ride for some random reasons, sorry about that.

Rgds

Damon

Understood Damon, thanks for your reaction.

I guess it is the email address I used to register with here that got me on a troll radar of some kind. It's just a way for me to recognize where data leaks come from and when I receive spam on that email address then I can inform the owner of that database some attention is needed in the security department.

But until someone is brave enough to tell me what it is being held against me we'll never know ;(

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2022, 12:42:33 PM »

Rgds

Damon

Understood Damon, thanks for your reaction.

I guess it is the email address I used to register with here that got me on a troll radar of some kind. It's just a way for me to recognize where data leaks come from and when I receive spam on that email address then I can inform the owner of that database some attention is needed in the security department.

But until someone is brave enough to tell me what it is being held against me we'll never know ;(
To be bluntly honest , we the Owner, Admins & Moderators are far too busy to hold a grudge against anyone forum member. HOWEVER if we're pushed into one we normally react pretty fast.
This statement "But until someone is brave enough to tell me what it is being held against me we'll never know ;(" IMO borders on that . IF you are looking for an argument for argument's sake go someplace else.
We do not get paid to do this, we do it because we like helping others.

I have no issues standing up to any person I've banned. I've seen far far worse in my travels around this beautiful globe that a mere individual getting riled about issues on a forum that is (1) Free and (2) offers free advise for people scattered all over the world. There's even a few who have out-of-their own pockets traveled to other parts of the world JUST to help their fellow Earthlings.

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard