Miscellaneous > Logged in diaries

VAWT: solidity. is there anyone that can say anything about it?

(1/3) > >>

brandnewb:
We all have heard and read the countless of reports. Also regarding Solidity.

What we need as a community is a simple guideline.

I for one am not looking for an optimal efficiency or setting new world records.
I care about how can people like me simply recreate my work.

So earlier, After far tooooo much effort on my part, I settled on 20cm chord length in a 3 blade VAWT turbine spanning 2m diam x 3m height

now I am constructing the same turbine yet I am doubling the diameter.

What quick formula is there to scale the chord length of the blades? Remember please we are not looking for super optimal we are looking for something that works and is easy to adapt by anyone.

MattM:
Unless you included twist, strain, and elasticity... you probably already did.

brandnewb:
I am very sad that there is no fast and loose formula for deciding the chord length depending on the radius of a VAWT.

This is an example of what contributes to the bad reputation the field has, at least for me.

Anyway since it took me ages to settle on 20cm chord length (Lc) on a 200cm turbine diam (Dt), I am introducing the following formula

if (Dt > 1000mm) {
   Lc = Dt / 10
} else {
  Lc = 100mm
}

So this means a chord length of 40cm for a turbine with a 4m diam.

It just feels more intuitive that way.

Really believe this field needs to become less complicated in order for everyone to be able to construct turbines and aid in our carbon goals and energy independence.

topspeed:

--- Quote from: brandnewb on August 30, 2022, 03:44:35 AM ---I am very sad that there is no fast and loose formula for deciding the chord length depending on the radius of a VAWT.

This is an example of what contributes to the bad reputation the field has, at least for me.

Anyway since it took me ages to settle on 20cm chord length (Lc) on a 200cm turbine diam (Dt), I am introducing the following formula

if (Dt > 1000mm) {
   Lc = Dt / 10
} else {
  Lc = 100mm
}

So this means a chord length of 40cm for a turbine with a 4m diam.

It just feels more intuitive that way.

Really believe this field needs to become less complicated in order for everyone to be able to construct turbines and aid in our carbon goals and energy independence.

--- End quote ---

Solidity varies from .15 - 0.5 in various designs.

It depends on what kinda record you are after.

brandnewb:
Thank you topspeed for pitching in.

Could you please elaborate a bit on what you meant with
"It depends on what kinda record you are after."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version