Miscellaneous > Logged in diaries

VAWT: solidity. is there anyone that can say anything about it?

<< < (3/3)

Bruce S:
It's not just the structural loads Mary B is talking it's the transmission of the vibrations stemming from the Mast, the mill and once you get a genset on it, even the frequencies and sub-harmonics involved.

Think of like what Tesla did with his free running oscillator!! on the building he lived in, 'bout brought it down once everything go into sync with the harmonics. Not to mention driving the people bonkers!

Bruce 

Mary B:

--- Quote from: Bruce S on December 15, 2023, 04:33:55 PM ---It's not just the structural loads Mary B is talking it's the transmission of the vibrations stemming from the Mast, the mill and once you get a genset on it, even the frequencies and sub-harmonics involved.

Think of like what Tesla did with his free running oscillator!! on the building he lived in, 'bout brought it down once everything go into sync with the harmonics. Not to mention driving the people bonkers!

Bruce

--- End quote ---

BINGO! The noise will drive you nuts... only a 3mph east wind right now but one of the antennas is at resonance and vibrating making a racket... I can hear the aluminum rattling in the house...

brandnewb:
ok guys I am pretty sure you are correct.

Yet I am going out on a limb here and make a bold claim.

The Phoenix is silent so far. Let me follow up on this when it has spun during more brutal conditions
{1} I meant with minimal vibrations that can be dampened by a thick rubber layer between the roof and a yet to be calculated base{1}

Mary B:

--- Quote from: brandnewb on December 16, 2023, 04:59:34 AM ---ok guys I am pretty sure you are correct.

Yet I am going out on a limb here and make a bold claim.

The Phoenix is silent so far. Let me follow up on this when it has spun during more brutal conditions
{1} I meant with minimal vibrations that can be dampened by a thick rubber layer between the roof and a yet to be calculated base{1}

--- End quote ---

No matter what you need a solid bolt going into the roof structure... just because you can't hear doesn't mean it is silent... subsonics will set you on edge after awhile!

brandnewb:
I stand corrected gang!. Wind turbines are easy to get vibrating. If a turbine is not vibrating at the very moment it is being inspected says nothing about the likeliness it will vibrate.

I will admit having to eat all my words here regarding vibrations ;(

I still stand by that it would be great if there would be a fast and loose formula for solidity

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version