Product Reviews > Reviews

Outback Radian

(1/2) > >>

SparWeb:
I don't often hear about the Outback Radian series grid tie inverter.  It's a bit old but still on the market.  Outback still supports it and seems to have some updates, making it still compliant to most utility feed-in rules. 

Any users with reviews of this inverter they would like to share?  Good or bad?
https://www.outbackpower.com/products/inverter-chargers/radian-series

Generally I've seen members of Fieldlines say good things about Outback and their tech support over the years.

SparWeb:
Here is why I'm asking.
The Outback Radian has a special feature.  They call it "GridZero".  Here's what they say about it:

--- Quote ---In Grid Zero mode, the Radian inverter powers the home from battery while remaining connected to the grid.  Using energy stored in the battery, the inverter attempts to decrease the use of the AC source to zero.  The inverter only draws on the utility grid when no other energy is available.  The PV recharges the battery whenever the sun shines.  Grid Zero never sells the Grid.
--- End quote ---

This is basically what I've been looking for for a while.  The Trace 4024 from the 1990's had a similar setting called "grid backup" and it, too, didn't give energy back to the grid.  But the Traces are out of date, and basically illegal now.  The advantage of the Radian is that it's fully compliant to the newest California rules in UL1741SA.  So by default it also meets or exceeds the requirements of all the other utilities in North America, including my local one.

It can therefore be demonstrated, by careful installation according to code, that a Radian can be installed for a homeowner with no need to inform the utility and still safe on their part. As long as it is never set to any mode other than Grid Zero it would be safe.  This argument is not bullet-proof, because there are many ways for software to lose its setpoints and revert to some other mode of operation, probably one that would sell to grid without permission.  I am not aware of means to "lock" a Radian into Grid Zero, therefore this would be risky. 

Here's an Outback application note on the function.

Radian_APP_NOTE_RADIAN_GridZero_ABC_2-18-14.pdf (700.47 kB - downloaded 80 times.)

clockmanFRA:
Hi SparWeb,

I  am asked all the time for a machine like the Radian.

The Radian Outback sound very interesting indeed.

Especially as it seems to  be a plug and play system, (Ultimate Dream).

Connected to the Grid and yet not back charging to the grid does seem simple enough. But in truth its ruddy hell to get correct. 

Normal Grid metering is nowadays very sensitive to  any back charging. So as i understand it a little backcharging of 100w is allowable.

A couple of things concern me.
        The Radian has to give and handle surges up to 30KW, short pulls of say 12KW and run all day at 6KW. As you know the BIG BOY's don't tell you this stuff in their sales blurb.
        I suspect  its High Frequency H-Bridge design, ie no Toroid,  but would be interested in how the monitoring software is functioning and bypassing and keeping the Grid connection  clear.   The relays/electronics must be wonderfull.
        When not backcharging to the Grid, does it redirect to the batteries. ?

The Victron Multiplus can, i am told be set up to not backcharge,  but yet to see a working system.

Do let me know how you get on with a Radian.

Thanks.

SparWeb:
Thank you for your thoughts on this, CFRA

--- Quote ---So as i understand it a little backcharging of 100w is allowable.
--- End quote ---

This might not raise a red flag by a utility because as long as it's brief, it would look like a motor being back-driven by a dynamic load.  A large cooling fan (e.g. drying wheat) that suddenly receives a very strong gust of wind might do that for a second.  This is not a condition that would re-energize a grid during an outage because then, the fan would already be shut down.

There is something that I just can't put my finger on that undermines my confidence in the Victron products.  I wish I could say specifically what it is.

--- Quote --- The Radian has to give and handle surges up to 30KW, short pulls of say 12KW and run all day at 6KW. As you know the BIG BOY's don't tell you this stuff in their sales blurb.

--- End quote ---
I can't quite see the concern here.  The transformer that serves my property is rated at 25kW, and looking at the loads on my house and other buildings I am unlikely to surpass 20kW unless it is the winter and I'm very busy meaning that not only are the furnace and electric heat going at the same time (5kW) but also I need the water pump (2kW surge - 0.5kW continuous), but my wife is making supper (3kW) and drying clothes (2.5kW) at the very same time that I'm doing some welding (3kW).  And as usual my son has left all the lights on (3kW).

With a Radian in the system, I could regulate its ability to supplement the power demand from 0.2kW to 7kW.

--- Quote ---When not backcharging to the Grid, does it redirect to the batteries. ?
--- End quote ---

Yes but only if you have PV connected to the Radian that can charge them.  In my primarily wind system, that wouldn't happen.

DamonHD:
FWIW my Enphase inverters play the same game, and G.100 specified products for the UK control/limit/prevent exporting to the grid eg from storage depending on the connection Ts&Cs.

I contemplated using the Outback Radian in GridZero to allow me to integrate my off-grid system.  However, when I last looked, it seemed to want far too much residual inflow from the grid before it would inject power, ie I'd always be drawing ~100W even with plenty of off-grid power available.  My Enphase manages a ~5W comfort margin by my observation.

Rgds

Damon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version