Newbies > Newbies

Thermoelectric generator improvements

<< < (4/4)

Bruce S:
This statement "I've been thinking about what practical experiment could be performed to test out the hypothesis that using AC and switching "
TEG's are  DC components adding to heat to one side and keeping the other side cool, will output DC not AC.
Using AC to power a Peltier device will not work correctly either due to the swing nature of AC.

IF you are possibly looking into making the DC into AC via switching then there's a whole new ball of wax.

Bruce S

joestue:
class of devices that purport to rectify random thermal vibrations with diodes..,

No

fepps:
Hi Bruce,

Yes, the latter. as the Dalhberg patent suggests. To be clear, he proposes starting with an AC oscillator and then switching the TEG modules so that they are always aligned with the AC current. The effect of this is to allow control of the I/V characteristics of the module that isn't possible otherwise. In general with these DC energy converters--TEG, PV, and other things mentioned in the patent-- you're stuck with whatever these characteristics naturally are. You can transform the voltage outside of the unit, but not within it, where the reduced current can reduce joule losses.

Note that conversion to high voltage is commonly used to reduce losses in power transmission lines. There's nothing unusual about doing this. I take it that you haven't found any basic flaw in the patent yet?

I've come to the conclusion that it's nearly impossible to test BOTH the 'dielectric heat barrier' and 'switched AC' concept at the same time with current modules. However it would be relative straightforward to test the switched AC.

Fred

fepps:
Hi Joestue,

Most of these projects are patently incredible, but the one attached gives me pause.
It has enough details so it could be replicated. You could see for yourself.

Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version