Remote Living > Heating

Optimising domestic space-heating retrofits from nat gas to heat pump

(1/6) > >>

DamonHD:
Hi,

So here is what I expect to spend (some of) the next ~8 years working on, officially starting 9th Jan (and ending, according to my offer letter, in 1931!):

https://www.earth.org.uk/PhD-research.html

Rgds

Damon

bigrockcandymountain:
Very interesting.  I'll be following this closely. 

My mother has been asking about converting her oil furnace to a heat pump.  Her house is very poorly insulated, so i told her that would be a better place to start.  She isn't excited about tearing the place apart though.

I told her that air source heat pumps aren't viable here as a primary heat becsuse they don't work well below -15c.

I suggested a ground source heat pump.  I have the drilling rig to install this.  Maybe I'm wrong on this. 

Anyway, i know you'll do good work and that this research will be very valuable.  I'll learn what i can from it.

Mary B:
They can spray foam by drilling a hole into each stud cavity on the outside of the house, same method for blown in insulation(this will settle some but it beats ripping all your interior walls apart).

SparWeb:
Agree that insulation is better, and don't forget the attic space, if applicable to her house's construction.

Notwithstanding your offer to drill the GSHP loop (a kind offer!) I think it can also be installed horizontally, as long as it is deep enough below frost line.  I don't actually know how deep that would be here at 52 degree North latitude...

DamonHD:

--- Quote from: bigrockcandymountain on December 31, 2022, 08:35:21 AM ---Very interesting.  I'll be following this closely. 

My mother has been asking about converting her oil furnace to a heat pump.  Her house is very poorly insulated, so i told her that would be a better place to start.  She isn't excited about tearing the place apart though.

I told her that air source heat pumps aren't viable here as a primary heat becsuse they don't work well below -15c.

I suggested a ground source heat pump.  I have the drilling rig to install this.  Maybe I'm wrong on this. 

Anyway, i know you'll do good work and that this research will be very valuable.  I'll learn what i can from it.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!

Damon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version