Remote Living > Heating

Energy bill?

<< < (2/4) > >>

MattM:
We have a pretty airtight 4,000 square foot house.  Electricity runs about $600/month with EREC.  The upside is fiber optic is coming through them next year.

bigrockcandymountain:
Insulated to almost the passivehouse standard here in Saskatchewan, Canada.

We have a wood stove that we use when it is really cold and cloudy.  Otherwise the sun pretty much keeps us heated.  There is propane powered heating in the basement slab.  Our propane costs about $350 a year.  That runs heat, hot water, stove, and dryer.  Maybe $100 or so for the space heating a year i would guess.

Our house is 1500 sq ft plus a full basement so 3000 total.

We have no other direct energy bills.  Off grid is good to us so far. 

All new homes should be insulated to passivehouse or better.  No question about it.  When doing major renos on existing homes, people should consider adding insulation too.

JW:
 I have a well sealed house, windows are very important. Got the insulation. Its central air.

Consider an air cleaner, I use an Ionizer without a media filter. The central air - air handler does thou. The ionizer uses hardly any power @120vac. I've had this one working in my house its in the living room been there since I can remember. I don't have any respiratory problems.

If anyone wants I can post the specs and a Grainger pn.

JW

Mary B:
Gas bill was $120 last month(coldest month of the year), probably burned $100 worth of pellets too. Electric was $140 because they have jacked the rates stupid high...

SparWeb:
My consumption is very consistent from year to year: about 80-90 GJ of natural gas and 7800-8500 kWhr of electricity.  In the past 5 years rates for both of these have doubled.  In 2016, energy cost me 1724$.  Last year I spent 3644$CAD.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version