Remote Living > Housing

Solar panel installation and solar grants

(1/2) > >>

Amy:
"Hello to everyone. I'm just looking for some guidance and advice, and I'm hoping that some of the more experienced and knowledgeable forum participants can offer some pearls of wisdom. I'm completely clueless when it comes to solar panels.
So, my husband and I have occasionally discussed installing solar panels, but we've always put it off because we assumed it would be expensive up front, and we weren't in a position to do so until recently. I have no desire to pay for them over time. I'm not interested if I can't pay for them in full or with a 0% interest plan up front. 
 We recently received a quote from Warma UK, a solar panel installation company... They also stated that if we are eligible, we can receive solar grants through the ECO scheme, allowing us to have it done for free...
Could you please share your thoughts about it...?

mab:
I'm not sure what you want to know. If you're eligible for the eco4 grants then I'd say go for it. I wasn't eligible as i already has solar panels and don't claim any benefits; someone i know was eligible but didn't want a heat pump so couldn't have any of it (seemed to be a package deal: pv, battery, insulation and heat pump). Once i was told i wasn't eligible i didn't look any further so you'll need to find out for yourself.

I would generally advise someone to install pv if they can - it should pay for itself even without a grant, but it may be a longterm roi, and it does depend on how much effort you are prepared to go to to use your 'free' energy when it's there, as opposed to a 'fit and forget' attitude and using energy whenever you want.

Amy:
Is it ok to have PV system into shared (household) RCD?

DamonHD:
A (UK) PV system should feed into a breaker/RCD with no other loads on it, as far as I know, but otherwise going straight into your consumer unit alongside everything else.  That's how mine is.

Rgds

Damon

mab:

--- Quote from: Amy on January 11, 2023, 05:46:06 AM ---Is it ok to have PV system into shared (household) RCD?

--- End quote ---

Theoretically it is acceptable, provided that it is a type A or B RCD (or the type specified by the inverter manufacturer) and that the shared RCD isn't for the entire house.

To meet current bs7671 wiring recommendations it is advised that the whole house isn't supplied via a single rcd anyway (eg, you ought to have a dual RCD 'split' consumer unit as a minimum - that way, if there's a fault you cannot trace,  you will still have access to power somewhere in the house).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version