Homebrewed Electricity > Solar

Protect your Charge controller from battery disconnect while connected to the PV

(1/3) > >>

fabieville:
Is there a way to protect your charge controller when there's a battery disconnect while being connected to the PV panels?

I am currently using a  lifepo4 battery and i am thinking that suppose one day my BMS cuts off the output because of a overload or because it suddenly develops a fault of its own so essentially the charge controller connection to the battery would be cut while the PV is still connected to the charge controller. I string my panels in high voltage string of around 100v coming from the panels going to the CC.

Is there a way to protect my charge controller from seeing the high voltage input coming from the panels when there is no battery connect to it?

DamonHD:
I think that my controller will survive with seeing full input voltage and no battery connection or load.

Indeed, the manual tells me to wire up the PV before the battery or load.

So my controller doesn't need protecting.

Why do you believe that yours does?

Rgds

Damon

fabieville:
Because  essentially is the battery operates my mppt cc. Without the battery been connected the mppt circuits inside that operates from the battery voltage will see the high voltage and get damage.

DamonHD:
For what it's worth my controller is also MPPT.

It may be that some are entirely happy to tolerate being disconnected from the battery, and some are not.

Rgds

Damon

Mary B:
Morningstar MPPT wants battery connected  before solar panels or it will give an error code.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version