Newbies > Newbies

Lightning is alternating current...

(1/2) > >>

joestue:
I found some interesting claims on facebook about this. The discussion can be found in the comments here, look for bob brovey

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02BRViBwJ8ZpaFFjE16arD1egBxoYqKTLHYCXsA7ddyU6TCCFuYwW6FAHEQzirQ77rl&id=100044730201835&mibextid=Nif5oz

Seems nonsense to me, i have never heard of this. Of course, multiple restrikes in a tenth of a second is 10 to 100hz.. ac.. but still a net negative (or positive) dc current.

SparWeb:
Um, sounds ironic, but, don't believe everything you read on the internet, Joe.  Especially on a forum!
;)

So if I had to give it a name it would be "transient" current, not DC or AC because both of those two terms assume some sort of stability.

Mary B:
It is considered to be an AC source of 100'f of khz to a few mhz frequency... why all my lightning protection systems are designed with AC shunts and not DC only.

joestue:

--- Quote from: Mary B on April 04, 2023, 11:43:12 AM ---It is considered to be an AC source of 100'f of khz to a few mhz frequency... why all my lightning protection systems are designed with AC shunts and not DC only.

--- End quote ---

well yes, even a square wave is a series of harmonics..

lightening has such a fast rise time you can induce MHZ frequencies in everything around it.

OperaHouse:
All current is AC.  DC is just slow AC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version