Author Topic: Change of Batteries Use, winter 2022 -23, New Strategy.  (Read 1172 times)

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
Change of Batteries Use, winter 2022 -23, New Strategy.
« on: April 22, 2023, 03:29:19 AM »
Change of Batteries Use, winter 2022 -23, New Strategy.

Since last year the Energy structure in Europe has become very difficult, with loss of cheapish Ruskie fuels, and poor planning by Governments.

Here in France we were official warned by the French Government that they might have to implement rolling power cuts across France because of Electricity shortages during the winter.
Yes, they dragged old Nuke stations back on line and started all sorts of other energy saving measures and public messages everywhere.

However, what that has meant for us is that when it’s get dark here in France I have to ensure my battery pack is full or well charged to stand 4 hours of NO POWER in the night time.

'Hang on', i here you say, you are Off Grid?.
Yes, we are but we do use the Utility EDF, (government controlled) supply as a standby generator, as here it’s cheaper than buying, servicing and fuel costs on running a 15KVA Generator. On our 22-year-old Sustainability and RE Project, we do have 9 separate buildings to also supply. Here in France, we have 8 hours during the night period of very cheap electricity tariffs that’s when we use the EDF utility virtual generator especially in the winter months.

So this year we are re-thinking our battery storage 1300ah 48vdc strategy.
Yes, we will still have them as we need them for the buffer supply when AC Coupling as we have 30Kw of PV, and those 9 buildings requiring power.  But I will have to put my thinking cap on and closely look at what the longer implications, future proofing required and of course the ROI.

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Change of Batteries Use, winter 2022 -23, New Strategy.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 09:02:07 AM »
Good idea to start the planning stages well in advance.
We have a new "smart" meter that now tells use the charges for peak times and off-peak charges.
Since we are at work during most of the peak time, I have timers on all of the heavy loads that turn off everything not absolutely necessary to keep the animals safe.
It certainly does help!
How goes the battery  builds?

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

clockmanFRA

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 03:15:35 PM »
Hi Bruce,

Yes, its that spring time of year where i have loads of jobs that i am slowly getting done.

Having to build a small steel frame and oak open-end barn for the Tractor grass cutting equipment. Still working on restoring and passive house works on the 1700's Old House. Structural repairs and old-fashioned brick laying where the old lime mortar has washed out. As the weather is not cold/freezing as much now so work outside becomes possible again.
Also started squaring up my Oak plank timber i have had for jobs, about 60 planks rough sawn from the mill, with my big table saws and chop saws, planks are about 10 foot, 6 to 10 inch wide and about 1 1/4 inch thick. Also means i am doing those requests from family about oak work tables etc, sigh!

Still got to electrically wire up the 60 year old Deutz tractor lights, horn, indicators, warning flashing lights etc, before i can go on the public roads agin. Everything is repaired renewed and tested, but needs me to put in correct thickness new cables, which is a job i am not looking forward to. !

PLANTE battery project still progress but slow, each plate roller ribbing takes about 15 minutes, so 28 sides means 7 hours of work per battery. I try to do 2 plates a day when i can, but i am also working on the Geotextile 400gms thick polythene socks for each plate as they get finished.

Also sorted out the design for the main positive and cathode buss bars, especially not keen on just resting each plate on the main buss bar, so doing a slot in the bus bar for each plate that then can have a lead cotter pin arrangement to lock the plate for a good electrical connection. Need to work out the cotter pin so it can be removed with out to much difficulty.

Once all the Plates have their socks, and the polypropylene 10mm by 10mm grid sheet stiffener between the plates, then i will know the exact dimensions for the case so i can start working on that as well.

So yes, work continues.
I trust you and the family are oaky. ?

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 07:38:10 PM »
Do you have a way to store energy as heat, and use it later?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 09:13:45 AM »
Family doing very well. Amy's NOT coming to the EU this year, she was asked to come back to Greece by the group at the Iklaina dig, but the Professor, requested she give a few Freshmen a chance to go.
Robin's still cooking!!
After another brief time off, I'm back at work!!

I do have a Pin-OAK tree I wish I could send you! 25' dia last guestimate was right at 100+' that got hit by lightning last big storm. That's when you're glad those arrestors are in place along the roof line and chimney are in place!!

That tractor!! I'd love to come help rewire it!! I didn't find it in the posts, is it 6Vdc? OR?
Ya know, if you ever "HAD" to , you could use it's generator to charge the batteries  ;D. I trust it's GEN is original gen and not an alternator.

Good the read about the batteries still coming along.
You still brewing?

Cheers
Bruce S

clockmanFRA

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 02:55:18 PM »
Sparweb,

Not at the moment, but thinking about several possible routes to store energy.

clockmanFRA

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 03:23:40 PM »
Hi Bruce,
 Good to hear about your Amy's dig's requests, but she is correct that other youngsters might like the experience.

Just for you, some photos of the 60 Year Old Deutz.

The electrical work is now all good and fully restored and conserved, a photo before it was all refitted. She is 12v, but sadly it now has a 1978 alternator fitted. But then me and old dynamos have history.
The alternator cables, battery cables and battery feeds are now replaced using good cable that is now hidden in the original Deutz sleeving. Its just all the cables to the rest need replacing now.

15444-0

That Deutz Green i have put on is the original colour from 60 years ago, the darker colour is when she got repainted in 1975 and since faded. I do find the original colour and parts that i remove to repair and restore. Colour paint and parts i get from Germany and Holland as both Countries have Old timer Tractor clubs and good for getting parts. 

She is all street legal registered with new plates, so she can go on public roads to local shows and other fields when i am cutting grass, but i need to fit those new cables first. sigh.

I only repaint when i have to repair and restore, then the metal work gets my full museum conservation standards, hahaha, a bit bigger than my normal 300-year-old clocks and stuff, but the principal is the same.

The VW camper Van 1975, is the Mrs runabout when she is in France, with twin choke Webbers on she sounds like a half track coming down the road. lol

15448-1

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 03:45:26 PM by clockmanFRA »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 01:18:51 PM »
Nice!!
Do y'all get enough cold/snow to warrant glycol in the tires?
Down home we normally don't , but up in Lakeshore Drive, Michigan, we most certainly had too.
Both area do not require plates for them to be allowed on the rural routes or urban streets.
It's also very bad juju if you hit one!! Not to mention that most newer cars would not survive smacking one of these.

Our '49 Ford 4N with an updraft carb had a top speed of 4MPH in 3rd gear! Funny thing was those also had metal floats in them as the were also Alky ready!
I miss the simplicity of working on those!

Cheers & Congrats
Bruce S