Homebrewed Electricity > Storage

Lithium tool battery repair and reuse

<< < (2/2)

dnix71:
tanner0441 The Ryobi 40v 4 amp hour packs I've seen use the green Samsung cells. One of the completely dead packs I have is a Ryobi 40v 5 amp hour pack that is exactly the same physical size and uses exactly the same BMS but has red-brown LG cells. Removing the BMS would be nice, but I need to get a solder sucker.

A lot of times with the 20v packs the BMS simply doesn't keep the cells balanced. Manually balancing one cell at a time isn't too time consuming. I have a 3.4 to 36.5 volt variable charger for that purpose. I also have a spot welder to replace bad cells, but once one cell goes the others usually fail pretty quick. I am on my second spot welder and also get inconsistent penetration. Professional welders run on 220/240v and have much bigger capacitors inside. As it is mine makes the light flicker when I tab. The built-in battery charger also died one day, but that wasn't why I bought it.

tanner0441:
Hi

I use an IMax charger which has Deans plugs and sockets and JSX connectors for ther BMS, I don't put a BMS on the packs but rely on the IMax. I have so far had no problems with my packs apart from a 12V 2Ah pack I put together for a friend with cells they supplied and found they had had the BPC reset, a pin in the little holes round the positive terminal. They charged without any problems but in use they became very hot very quickly. They went rapidly out the door until they cooled down. When I gave them back I pointed out the fact they ran hot, "Oh yes thay have always done that I,ve had to reset them twice."

I just said on your head be it. Hot and 18650 cells are not a good combination.

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version