Homebrewed Electricity > Other

Magnetic field and coil depth

(1/5) > >>

SimonMester:
So as the magnetic field gets weaker with distance exponentially, how would you go about calculating the depth of coil that it will still go through and produce a worthwhile current?
I have looked at many designs and they are wildly different. Some have coils that are about as deep as the magnet height, and some that are 2 or 3 times that.

Mary B:
For an axial flux machine you want the coils no thicker than the magnets, and the magnet rotors as close to the coils as is safe/without scraping when the magnet disc flexes with wind direction changes.

SimonMester:
What about radial machines?

MattM:
Same principle.  The goal is creating as quick of changing magnetic field as practical.  Axial is easier to use magnets on both sides, where weaker magnets can compliment each other for best results.  Not so easy to do the same on radials.

SimonMester:

--- Quote from: MattM on June 08, 2023, 01:34:04 AM ---Same principle.  The goal is creating as quick of changing magnetic field as practical.  Axial is easier to use magnets on both sides, where weaker magnets can compliment each other for best results.  Not so easy to do the same on radials.

--- End quote ---

I will have a bunch of cheap ceramics next month, I could use that to play with axial designs.
I suppose the one annoying thing there is the coils have to be a triangular shape. I'm not sure how that effects the magnetic fields crossing it.
Also, the two rotor magnet plates, would they have the same poles to the opposing rotor plate? Or would that alternate as well?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version