Homebrewed Electricity > Other

Magnetic field and coil depth

<< < (2/5) > >>

SimonMester:
Ah! Bonus question: How does stacking magnets compare to actually having a magnet one piece? If you glue them together for security, surely that must be worse than having it in one piece because of the extra gap the glue takes up?

MattM:
Its more of a bitten piece of pie shape you are aiming for, not really triangle.  Your coil legs should lay straight out from center.  One piece magnets are better than stacking.  You can always run several layers of alternating layers of magnet holders and coil stators.  Magnet holders should all be arranged with the magnets aligned so that poles align in the same direction. 

https://ietresearch.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1049/iet-rpg.2018.5311

SimonMester:

--- Quote from: MattM on June 09, 2023, 08:13:25 PM ---Its more of a bitten piece of pie shape you are aiming for, not really triangle.  Your coil legs should lay straight out from center.  One piece magnets are better than stacking.  You can always run several layers of alternating layers of magnet holders and coil stators.  Magnet holders should all be arranged with the magnets aligned so that poles align in the same direction. 

https://ietresearch.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1049/iet-rpg.2018.5311

--- End quote ---

Thanks. I'm definitely giving some thought to designs. As I'll have plenty of different magnets to play with, and to be honest I'm growing appreciation to ceramic magnets, they are not all that bad.
Also, what is the reason for the air gap is most ferrite cores/iron cores I see? Wouldn't it be better to have a solid iron core filling out the space? (As long as its made of proper material to minimize eddy currents of course)

MattM:
As long as you aren't using solid pieces in your stator, and instead using powder isolated with epoxy, you shouldn't get strong eddy currents.  Unless of course your epoxy is conductive.

SimonMester:

--- Quote from: MattM on June 11, 2023, 02:02:17 AM ---As long as you aren't using solid pieces in your stator, and instead using powder isolated with epoxy, you shouldn't get strong eddy currents.  Unless of course your epoxy is conductive.

--- End quote ---

At the moment I only have solid pieces of mild steel. I plan to get magnetite and epoxy later on. I'll try to figure out what ratio is best, as currently I could only guess.
I doubt the epoxy is conductive, just bog standard clear epoxy people use for decorative stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version