Logged in users > User Diaries

My radial flux generator prototype

<< < (3/3)

MattM:
Looks like it rolls nice and smooth.

I used the word endcaps to describe the ends of each stator segment.  Your inner ends of each stator segment should butt together at a minimum, but it may be possible to create interlocking parts when 3D printing.  Most importantly the inward-facing ends of stator segments need to connect together to create an unbroken circuit, and your inner ring needs to carry that flux with least resistance.

Ideally your individual stator segments will allow flux to not only go through the individual segments, but for that flux to connect and return through adjacent segments, in loops.  Keeping everything rigid while allowing thermal dissipation in the stator are the first and second priority.  Highly developed designs have included interlocking inner and outer attackments.  For a homebrew design, the interlocking may be too sophisticated.  If you can create those flux loops you are further optimizing a traditional radial design but don't expect earth shattering gains from it.  While aluminum will not carry flux, it does transmit thermals.

SimonMester:

--- Quote from: MattM on July 11, 2023, 07:27:49 AM ---Looks like it rolls nice and smooth.

I used the word endcaps to describe the ends of each stator segment.  Your inner ends of each stator segment should butt together at a minimum, but it may be possible to create interlocking parts when 3D printing.  Most importantly the inward-facing ends of stator segments need to connect together to create an unbroken circuit, and your inner ring needs to carry that flux with least resistance.

Ideally your individual stator segments will allow flux to not only go through the individual segments, but for that flux to connect and return through adjacent segments, in loops.  Keeping everything rigid while allowing thermal dissipation in the stator are the first and second priority.  Highly developed designs have included interlocking inner and outer attackments.  For a homebrew design, the interlocking may be too sophisticated.  If you can create those flux loops you are further optimizing a traditional radial design but don't expect earth shattering gains from it.  While aluminum will not carry flux, it does transmit thermals.

--- End quote ---

Quite accidentally I actually ended up having spaces for 12 magnets and 9 coils, so couldn't I just use this 3 phase winding?

I was thinking of rectifying it to DC and charging a battery with it as a test. (ofc will have to make sure the voltage and current are to what the battery needs)
But that is all in the future still.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version