Newbies > Newbies

affect of dual vs single rotor

<< < (2/4) > >>

electrondady1:
with a single rotor the magnetic flux is moving from one magnet to the next.  and not cutting through the coil at 90 degrees.
with two rotors the flux travels from one rotor to the other and cuts through the coils at 90 degrees. the flux density is more than double.
the voltage and the amperage is going to be increased.

defed:

--- Quote from: electrondady1 on June 20, 2023, 08:33:12 AM ---with a single rotor the magnetic flux is moving from one magnet to the next.  and not cutting through the coil at 90 degrees.
with two rotors the flux travels from one rotor to the other and cuts through the coils at 90 degrees. the flux density is more than double.

--- End quote ---

is there a general rule as to what degree they increase?  do they both double?  does voltage double and amperage by 20%?  i'm sure there are many factors, but just looking for a rough idea so i know what to aim for in my next test coil.

SimonMester:

--- Quote from: electrondady1 on June 20, 2023, 08:33:12 AM ---with a single rotor the magnetic flux is moving from one magnet to the next.  and not cutting through the coil at 90 degrees.

--- End quote ---

Why don't they employ the same double rotor idea for radial machines then?

electrondady1:
when flux density is increased  the voltage will rise.  if your looking for a specific voltage then the number of turns can be decreased or the conductor diameter can be increased to reduce resistance.
in a radial the coils are usually embedded in iron that pulls flux through the  coil. you could build two rotating cylinders of magnets  but that becomes tricky from a mechanical standpoint.

defed:
right now, i'm just experimenting.  i don't have specific voltage in mind, i just made a coil because i had no idea where to start.  i used 30awg because the magnets/coils are small, so i figured i needed thin wire to get any voltage.  i ended up w/ ~7.5 volts per coil (x4 in series), so 30v open circuit.  i have a little test motor, running around 1600rpm on 4w.  to test the power of the alternator, i used some leds.  each led is 3v and 20ma.  i start my motor, get the stator close to the rotor, put 1 led into my breadboard and the thing bogs right down to a stop.  amps spiked at maybe 300ma.  i'm thinking, there's no way this thing can't run ONE led!  i figure out that i have to move the stator away from the rotor, then it's working fine.  i can keep adding leds, in series and parallel (again, to experiment and try to figure out what it can output) and the more i add the closer i move the stator to the rotor...i can have 25 leds running fine, but if i put one led in so that only it draws the load, the same thing happens, it spikes to 300ma and bogs down....interesting that it can run 25 in a certain configuration, but not one (i don't fully understand what is happening there).  i seem to recall from the windmill books that you have to tune your coils to what you are trying to run, so i presume that is what is happening when i have to adjust the gap between stator and rotor, and that a certain gap for certain loads works.  i figure at best i'm making .5w.   so now, i think i want less voltage and more amps, so i'm going to try thicker wire....but if i know what a 2nd rotor will do, i can afford to go for less voltage if i can double it later w/ another rotor.  one other thing i know is hindering output is, i don't have a steel backing on my rotor.  i am probably losing a lot because of that.  my little test motor is on magnetic bearings, i still have to test how much weight it can bear before trying to add something there.

yes, i have no idea what i am doing, but i figure the best way to learn is to play around and see what happens.  just looking for some basic guidelines to point me in the right direction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version