Formulas and calculators > Coil winding

Cheap coil winder

(1/2) > >>

SimonMester:
So, would some like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272260176256?epid=1372418956&
be helpful to wind coils, or is it too cheap to be much of an improvement over doing it by hand?
I have iron cores 100mm by 11mm, would it even be able to wind copper nicely onto that "uneven" shape? As its not just a nice round thing.
Never used one of these so I'm just not sure what to expect. I'm using 0.6mm wire.

Mary B:
It's designed for very fine wore like you find in a speaker coil... if you wind heavier than 18 gauge I think it will fail. 18 may even be to much for it...

SimonMester:

--- Quote from: Mary B on July 08, 2023, 12:26:04 PM ---It's designed for very fine wore like you find in a speaker coil... if you wind heavier than 18 gauge I think it will fail. 18 may even be to much for it...

--- End quote ---

Any tips for hand winding the wire? Not sure how to "straighten" it as it unwinds. As it has a natural 'bend' in it from being wound on the reel of course.
Wasting a lot of space, and pushing it around or trying to flatten it, the wire is too strong for that.
Suppose I could always just try to wind the next layer tightly over the one before it to squish it down as much as possible.

electrondady1:
I made a coil winder from am old variable speed electric drill .
 Added a turn counter i bought separately.
 i keep a threaded rod in the chuck and build a coil jig on he threaded rod.
 its all set up on its own mahogany plank . and has the capability of turning single wire  or 3 in hand coils.
its a mechanical counter and if i built another i would use a magnetic turn counter rather than the noisy mechanical one .

Mary B:

--- Quote from: SimonMester on July 08, 2023, 12:31:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mary B on July 08, 2023, 12:26:04 PM ---It's designed for very fine wore like you find in a speaker coil... if you wind heavier than 18 gauge I think it will fail. 18 may even be to much for it...

--- End quote ---

Any tips for hand winding the wire? Not sure how to "straighten" it as it unwinds. As it has a natural 'bend' in it from being wound on the reel of course.
Wasting a lot of space, and pushing it around or trying to flatten it, the wire is too strong for that.
Suppose I could always just try to wind the next layer tightly over the one before it to squish it down as much as possible.

--- End quote ---

You can do the math and get a rough idea of how much wire you will need. Cut that off the spool(add a little extra for oops I was wrong) then attach one end to something heavy, wrap the other end around a dowel then grab the dowel and pull. It will straighten the wire. Commercial winders do this via wheel pressure and if you watch a machine it has a straight section before the winder to remove any curve memory.

Yes the above wastes a little wire... can save that for jumpers between coils.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version