Formulas and calculators > Coil winding

Cheap coil winder

<< < (2/2)

SimonMester:

--- Quote from: electrondady1 on July 09, 2023, 09:58:03 AM ---I made a coil winder from am old variable speed electric drill .
 Added a turn counter i bought separately.
 i keep a threaded rod in the chuck and build a coil jig on he threaded rod.
 its all set up on its own mahogany plank . and has the capability of turning single wire  or 3 in hand coils.
its a mechanical counter and if i built another i would use a magnetic turn counter rather than the noisy mechanical one .

--- End quote ---

I feel like I'd rather build a hand wound machine first. Maybe I'll give that a go. I just want to wind a couple simple coils, one by one, make sure they are straightened out so I can wind them nicely.

Do you know of any general outlines/schematics I could inspect? As I have never made one, would be nice to see.

SimonMester:

--- Quote from: Mary B on July 09, 2023, 01:26:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: SimonMester on July 08, 2023, 12:31:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mary B on July 08, 2023, 12:26:04 PM ---It's designed for very fine wore like you find in a speaker coil... if you wind heavier than 18 gauge I think it will fail. 18 may even be to much for it...

--- End quote ---

Any tips for hand winding the wire? Not sure how to "straighten" it as it unwinds. As it has a natural 'bend' in it from being wound on the reel of course.
Wasting a lot of space, and pushing it around or trying to flatten it, the wire is too strong for that.
Suppose I could always just try to wind the next layer tightly over the one before it to squish it down as much as possible.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the reply, it's given me some ideas. I might DIY some kind of wire straightener with wheels, and then just wind the coils with a crank after that section.
Also grats on 3k comments. :)

You can do the math and get a rough idea of how much wire you will need. Cut that off the spool(add a little extra for oops I was wrong) then attach one end to something heavy, wrap the other end around a dowel then grab the dowel and pull. It will straighten the wire. Commercial winders do this via wheel pressure and if you watch a machine it has a straight section before the winder to remove any curve memory.

Yes the above wastes a little wire... can save that for jumpers between coils.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version