Homebrewed Electricity > Hydro

Home made hydro help

<< < (2/4) > >>

SteveB:
Thank you for your advice.
I don’t seem to be able to down load some images! Would a belt and pulley drive be more efficient?
Also would a different ac to dc charge controller ( solar/wind hybrid) make any difference?
Reading about micro wind generators, at 550-700 rpm they should be producing 24+v and 4-500w
At the moment I’m producing 20v , 20w and 0.95amps. U

This is all new to me , if I can answer any more of your questions, I will try to .

Thanks again

Vortechs:
How are you measuring the rpm?

There's info on the smartdrive motor/generator that I'm using for my hydro here:
https://www.powerspout.com/collections/smart-drive-d-i-y I don't know the hvac one joe is recommending so that might be better.

You should have a bridge rectifier that converts the ac to dc between the genny and batteries. Then a charge controller that's connected to the batteries that regulates the charge of the batteries and dumps any excess to a dump load - is that what you have?

joestue:
The motors im talking about look like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134000640101.

For the 20 watt territory, you could probably get it efficiently with a 3:1 speed increase from a 15rpm waterwheel.

mab:
You cannot determine power from speed alone: 660 rpm unloaded will give you your open circuit volts - 36v as you mentioned.

As you have observed, as soon as you load the generator it slows down - this is expected as the generator is taking energy out of the wheel. If you connect your d.c. output to a 24v battery it will slow down until the generator is outputting 24v, probably at about 0.8A as it stands.

You're getting about 20w into your load, but without knowing what  quantity of water is flowing onto the wheel or the actual diameter of the wheel we can't know how much power you should be getting:- there might be nothing wrong; 20w might be all there is, and improving the efficiency of the drivetrain will only gain you a few watts.

Put a 3 gallon bucket (or whatever size you have) under the chute and time how long it takes to fill.

joestue:
20 watts is .7 liters a second falling 3 meters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version