Homebrewed Electricity > Wind

alternators: 3 phase: wire size

(1/8) > >>

brandnewb:
I have 0.4mm diam, 0.7 and 1mm diam wires available.

The 1mm diam is far too stubborn (just like I am ;)) and does not want to stay in shape. Hardly favorable conditions to make many coils with.

Now I could flex some prowess and show how to unpractical create iron filled 1mm wired coils.

It would be a neat show of skill but not at all practical for larger scale systems.

How fast do things get to too hot with what wire size? is there any type of rules of thumb?

I just checked again my Hugh Picket kindle but I am just not sure this information is still applicable.
I realize that I am cursing in the church. Yet someone has to do it if information seems no longer applicable.

Mary B:
1mm is approx 18 gauge... that isn't that thick... many of the machines here were wound with 14 gauge(1.628mm), some with 2 in hand(2 wires would at the same time in parallel when finished) which is equivalent to a single 2.3mm winding...

If I was using 18 gauge it would be 2 or even 3 in hand for 2 or 3 winding in parallel per coil for higher current capability

SparWeb:
Refer to this:
https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Use the column "Maximum amps for chassis wiring"

Since you have CAD tools, it should be easy for you to estimate the length of wire you will wind into each circuit. 
From the table then you can calculate the resistance in Ohms for each circuit or phase.
Then do the Ohm's Law calculation to find the voltage you need to produce the maximum current.
Test the coils for the voltage produced at a range of RPMs.
You then have an estimate of the rated power of your alternator.  Usually you can get more without burning up, but not too much!

It's pretty accurate, too.  I've been through it a couple of times and always impressed/satisfied/amazed by how directly the theory lines up with the practice.

brandnewb:
Thanks all for the input.

It made me realize I should think harder on how to mass produce coils in an effective time frame.

I think I found the solution. I am now post processing a peg board with, well, pegs to keep the 1mm wire in place ;)

brandnewb:
I am happy to announce yet again some progress on the MK II.

First arm is installed, And it aligns to the wind direction as can be seen by the weather station that is now near by.

EDIT: hahah please do not think these indoor scaffolding are what I was referring to when I asked about how to align a 6m column. I have also more large scale scaffolding that is meant for outdoors and high +8m works ;)
But one can imagine that setting that up requires a bit more time and we do not need all that much height at the moment.

Also MattM, Even though I will seriously make it so that arms cant tord and/or bend and what have we. These arms are aluminum. Does that make any difference to ease of metal fatigue?

EDIT2: and I take care of avoiding contact between steel and aluminum as to not cause hotspots for oxidation/ rust forming

ADDITION: I am considering renaming the structure to the Apache attack helicopter if the US military will allow for it.

EDIT3: blunder spotted. top arm needs to be flipped

EDIT4: hahah false alarm ;) optical illusion at play here

EDIT5: not a false alarm at all. I will go and have a talk to anyone that ever suggested that building turbines is easy ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version