Author Topic: alternators: 3 phase: wire size  (Read 2925 times)

brandnewb

Re: alternators: 3 phase: wire size
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2023, 01:39:57 AM »
Ok thank you Matt for the clarification,

I will try going with wood as arms. it's cheap and reliable. I can use the c channels to extend the wood in case I need a larger diameter ;) But I am not expecting that ;) And like you said they can double as wind catchers.

If I was deadset on keeping the c channels as arms then I would have gone for Mary's suggestion.

So you mentioned 2 by 4s. I find available for purchase in my neck of the woods
Douglas 50 x 100 mm
or
Spruce 45 x 95 mm
I am not familiar with the characteristics of Douglas. it seems to not be as tolerable to weather conditions as Spruce is. But then again I am guessing that Douglas is also treatable to better withstand weather conditions.
If one can shed a little more light on this it would help a lot. {1}After some more searching I am going for spruce 58x155mm{1}

As for the cross bracing I am holding off on that idea because I am expecting the structure to catch more wind that way. And I have spend a rather large sum on new quality controlled heavy duty components for the guy wires. Things should not just snap like the crap cable tensioner did.
Also I will increase the length of the feet by putting extra 70 x 245mm beams on them. It will help minimize the buckling of the feet and reduce the tipping over ability of the structure

As for the increase in weight I will replace the bottom ball bearing with a taper roller bearing.

I'm thinking inside/under of your guy wires you run cross bracing.  Your fulcrum is much shorter this way and should nearly eliminate bowing in the middle.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 03:03:10 AM by brandnewb »

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2023, 06:02:27 AM »
Douglas fir is slightly stronger than average spruce.  In line with sitka spruce.   It is now approved for airplane spars.   Also, i think more rot resistant.  It tends to be tighter grained and less flaws too.

I would look at both.  Get whichever wood has the least knots, straightest, tightest grain etc. 

MattM

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2023, 08:01:21 AM »
I cannot guess the scale of this project.  But if I did my guess is the C-channels are easily 20 foot long.  The base looks like its made from dimensial cut barn posts.  I want to guess 4" tall by 16" wide.  I think there are a couple of 2x boards stacked next to the base.  Have you considered a wood center column?  You must have a friend with a nice mill to cut thick boards like that. 

brandnewb

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2023, 10:57:27 AM »
Dear Brother ;)

I can not guess as well. That is the ever lasting issue between imperial and metric.

But as a sign of good will I will for now once give an impression in imperial units. ;) I still dream of that day that you guys join us someday ;)

The central column top is 127.9528 inch elevated from the grass.

The blade tip outer diameter is configurable and currently the arms are configured for a 2440.945 inch diameter.

The heavy weight early stage cups one has likely seen before spinning on MK I are

25.59055 wide by 960.6299 inch tall and weigh around 44.09245 pounds. But weight might be our friend here.

I still think I should focus on air wheels but lets take this all step by step ;)

{!} BTW the name Air Wheels I did not think of my self though. It was conjured by someone I hold in high esteem after I showed him my model I also showed here. The idea, at least to me, is new though. And if there are tries before me then certainly my implementation will be novel. Perhaps albeit non functional hahah{!}

{!!} in general I never actually suggested anywhere that I am doing this all alone. I make it heard that I stand on the shoulders of giants that enable me to do this. Well dear participator in my threads, you are one of them{!!}

I cannot guess the scale of this project.  But if I did my guess is the C-channels are easily 20 foot long.  The base looks like its made from dimensial cut barn posts.  I want to guess 4" tall by 16" wide.  I think there are a couple of 2x boards stacked next to the base.  Have you considered a wood center column?  You must have a friend with a nice mill to cut thick boards like that.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 11:29:54 AM by brandnewb »

brandnewb

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2023, 12:58:18 PM »
Yes sir! Your contribution did not go unnoticed.

I ended up with spruce. Easy to deal with, not so temperament.
I am sure I can have it run for one season and after that just take it down and see where it needs love.

And if I am nervous I can give it some love before it goes into service for a season.

Douglas fir is slightly stronger than average spruce.  In line with sitka spruce.   It is now approved for airplane spars.   Also, i think more rot resistant.  It tends to be tighter grained and less flaws too.

I would look at both.  Get whichever wood has the least knots, straightest, tightest grain etc.

brandnewb

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2023, 02:15:55 PM »
Ok I tried creating a logged in diary thread to continue my progress but for the life of me I can find it back.

So I will just plow on here until a mod can hold my hand in finding my way.

Anyway Mary. You said there is a reason you oversize your towers? I listened ;) look this

15743-0

Now these m24 cable tensioners are not only large but also guaranteed to be fit for purpose. I am not sure if I can name brand names but if I did them everyone would understand that this is what one buys if one needs to know it is good. Never mind the cost.

{1} this crappy carabine hook is not part of the part. I just forgot to remove  it before I took the picture{1}

MattM

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2023, 10:01:22 PM »
2440.945 inches would be 200 feet.  Probably mean 244.0945 inches which is roughly 20 feet.  :)