Homebrewed Electricity > Storage

Discover 2v 920ah opinions

(1/3) > >>

bigrockcandymountain:
I have a chance to pick up a 48v bank of 2v 920ah Discover OPzS batteries second hand.  They are about 6 years old, and were in a cabin, so likely not cycled as often as a primary residence. 

Being replaced as part of a remodel / expansion.

What do you guys think?  What are they worth?

SparWeb:
45kWhr is going to be quite a load of lead to haul!

Maybe obvious: Check for swelling or signs of freezing if they were left discharged over winter.

Here's a set of Rolls batteries on Kijiji for comparison (about 1/2 the capacity of that giant Discover bank):
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-renovation-electrical/muskoka/rolls-deep-cycle-solar-batteries/1675480638

bigrockcandymountain:

Well, I'm not sure it was a good idea, but here we go.  They were sitting for most of a year, and are all still showing 60% to 70% state of charge.  The tops looked quite corroded, but other than that they seem fine. 

If I get 6 years, for what I paid, I think I'm even with buying new rolls s550   They are 5 years old and a 20 year design life battery, so I'm hoping for more like 10 to 15 years out of them. 

I'm also in the process of adding 2.4kw solar, for a total of 5.4kw.  By the end of the week, we should be looking a lot better for power. 

Now to haul them into the basement.  I have lots of beer.  Anybody? 😁

DamonHD:
I'll drink beer to your new storage lifetime!

Rgds

Damon

bigrockcandymountain:

Batteries are in and mostly hooked up. I'll finish and hook up power today.  They sure look big beside the old L16 bank.  (Red)

They were overfilled with water when i got them. All the SG were pretty even, so I drained 2 cups exactly out of each cell.  Ill add it back in when the levels drop. 

Discover doesn't exactly list an absorb voltage for these.  The feeling i get is they run lower voltages than L16.  I'll start with 57.6v absorb and check gravity to get the target of 1.240

I'll be closing in a battery box over them right away and ventilating it to outside. They list 2.5kwh at 120h for capacity.  That means 60kwh storage.  This seems like way overkill but hey, hopefully i got lucky.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version