Author Topic: Discover 2v 920ah opinions  (Read 1957 times)

bigrockcandymountain

Discover 2v 920ah opinions
« on: December 08, 2023, 01:35:54 PM »
I have a chance to pick up a 48v bank of 2v 920ah Discover OPzS batteries second hand.  They are about 6 years old, and were in a cabin, so likely not cycled as often as a primary residence. 

Being replaced as part of a remodel / expansion.

What do you guys think?  What are they worth?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Discover 2v 920ah opinions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 01:06:41 AM »
45kWhr is going to be quite a load of lead to haul!

Maybe obvious: Check for swelling or signs of freezing if they were left discharged over winter.

Here's a set of Rolls batteries on Kijiji for comparison (about 1/2 the capacity of that giant Discover bank):
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-renovation-electrical/muskoka/rolls-deep-cycle-solar-batteries/1675480638
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 06:21:22 AM »
15738-0
15739-1
Well, I'm not sure it was a good idea, but here we go.  They were sitting for most of a year, and are all still showing 60% to 70% state of charge.  The tops looked quite corroded, but other than that they seem fine. 

If I get 6 years, for what I paid, I think I'm even with buying new rolls s550   They are 5 years old and a 20 year design life battery, so I'm hoping for more like 10 to 15 years out of them. 

I'm also in the process of adding 2.4kw solar, for a total of 5.4kw.  By the end of the week, we should be looking a lot better for power. 

Now to haul them into the basement.  I have lots of beer.  Anybody? 😁

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 08:05:27 AM »
I'll drink beer to your new storage lifetime!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 08:27:30 AM »
15746-0
Batteries are in and mostly hooked up. I'll finish and hook up power today.  They sure look big beside the old L16 bank.  (Red)

They were overfilled with water when i got them. All the SG were pretty even, so I drained 2 cups exactly out of each cell.  Ill add it back in when the levels drop. 

Discover doesn't exactly list an absorb voltage for these.  The feeling i get is they run lower voltages than L16.  I'll start with 57.6v absorb and check gravity to get the target of 1.240

I'll be closing in a battery box over them right away and ventilating it to outside. They list 2.5kwh at 120h for capacity.  That means 60kwh storage.  This seems like way overkill but hey, hopefully i got lucky.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 07:31:52 PM »
I see you're not superstitious about leaving LA batteries on a concrete floor.  Ah the funny old-wives tales I've heard since I started reading forums in RE.

In the pictures on the truck I can see through the case to the tops of the plates.  How much air space should there be?  Do you have a watering system planned?

Sorry I missed the call for helping hands.  Gimme more warning next time.  It's only a 7 hour drive, eh
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 07:39:01 AM »
Ya, no worries sparweb.  I'll get your help when they need to be hauled out.  Going down was easy....😁

15753-0

The glowing line above max is the water level now.  I can't seem to get the S. G.  To 1.240 but i think that makes sense.  The lower line says 1.260 and the upper line 1.240,  so extrapolating, they should be 1.220 where they are filled to now.  I'm seeing a bit more than that so hopefully all is well.  I'll set the charge a bit high so they desulphate and use up the extra water. 

Now for the next project.  Making my gas stove into a hybrid. 

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 02:16:15 PM »
That plan sounds good!
I see the trend your pointing at, too.  It might take a while to evaporate off that much water, though...
This could be like your diversion load for a few weeks.
www.sparweb.ca

Jackir

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 10:04:43 AM »
Seems like a decent deal if they're in good shape. Check their condition and compare prices for similar used batteries to gauge their worth.

kitestrings

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 01:03:25 PM »
Oh wow, those look promising.  So, 2-volt cells with 4-terminals.  Is that just to allow for wiring.  It's one series-string of 24?  Or are there two cells in each case?  I bet they are heavy buggers.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2023, 08:32:51 AM »
I'm not exactly sure why 4 terminals.  Probably for flexibility wiring.  They are very geared toward telecom applications 8 think. 

They are 2v cells, all in series.  130lbs each.  I put rails on the stairs to roll a dolly down to get them in the basement.  It was fairly easy.  Going up will be different.  Gravity and all that.  Hopefully I'm 15 years older when that needs to be done. 

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2024, 11:40:40 AM »
Awesome score, congrats!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

kitestrings

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 09:24:56 AM »
So far so good I understand?