Homebrewed Electricity > Wind

Wooden Blades

(1/4) > >>

Yianie123.:
Hello again.  I hope all is well with everyone.  I was wondering what the life of wooden blades are and what little can be done to extend the life, wood type, coatings...ect.  Thank you always.

brandnewb:
I can't say much other than that wood seems more durable than aluminum ;) More experienced members amongst us made me trust that recently after my alu tries went scray.

Also one good thing about wood is that it is easy to detect early signs of pending failure. Something I do not know how to do with steel or alu.

I guess my advice will be go wood ;)

But please understand that I know absolutely nothing about anything ;(

Bruce S:
Yianie123;
Have a look at some of the post from ClockmanFRA. He's done a fairly new posts about this very subject.

There are others and have recently posted about water damage. Do a search on this forum for Wood Blades, there's tons of info.
Happy Reading :-)
Cheers
Bruce S

Adriaan Kragten:
Blades made out of good quality hardwood and covered with two layers of epoxy and two layers of aluminium paint can have a lifetime in between 5 and 10 years depending on the climate and the maximum tip speed. Blades made out of stainless steel sheet and provided with a 7.14 % cambered airfoil have an almost endless lifetime if the rotor and the safety system are designed such that the blade is free from flutter at high wind speeds. My VIRYA-2.2S rotor has run for more than 10 years and the blades still look new. Aluminium blades are sensible for fatigue and aluminium blades can snap off suddenly after a certain number of revolutions.

MattM:
Keep it simple, stupid.  Take a 1x6 and add stainless steel ogee blades.  Yes, it really works.  Quite well actually.

Your wood absorbs the shock.  The blade may bend down in high winds but that only decreases its angle of attach which actually helps in two ways.  Under some load its lower angle of attack helps accelerate it.  Under enough load it will stop producing an angle of attack and decelerate.  Depending on the material is how much it bends.  You can get by with as low of thickness as 24 gauge for extremely responsive acceleration.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version