Miscellaneous > Logged in diaries

VAWT backyard experiements

<< < (2/45) > >>

brandnewb:
yes sir! understood. I did not mean it in a nasty way. But I agree the sound of the word is not the best.

Back to the story at hand.

While taking a break from rebuilding the Apache I get to spend some time on what JW was correctly warning about. Eddy currents.

Up until this point I have just made assumptions that because the iron powder is not electro conductive any issues with eddy currents will be tiny. More so than with traditional techniques.

I would like to make sure.

Is there any experiment I can run to demonstrate if there are eddy current issues or not?

brandnewb:
Since resin is bad for thermal conductivity yet good for keeping things in place I thought why not extend on the idea.

Please see this concept

We have a full 1:1 ratio magnet coil disk. the resin cast over the coils is darker because it is filled with iron. The parts adjacent to it are lighter because they are filled with aluminum.

If there are no known laws of physics that makes this idea a dead end then I will go and find out. Any thought are always motivating.

The reasoning is to have a disk that is able to dissipate heat far more than  transitional traditional methods.

Mary B:

--- Quote from: brandnewb on December 14, 2023, 09:50:34 AM ---yes sir! understood. I did not mean it in a nasty way. But I agree the sound of the word is not the best.

Back to the story at hand.

While taking a break from rebuilding the Apache I get to spend some time on what JW was correctly warning about. Eddy currents.

Up until this point I have just made assumptions that because the iron powder is not electro conductive any issues with eddy currents will be tiny. More so than with traditional techniques.

I would like to make sure.

Is there any experiment I can run to demonstrate if there are eddy current issues or not?

--- End quote ---

Cast a 4" disc of iron/resin mix about 1/2 inch thick. Spin it between 2 opposing magnets and measure temps... and check for drag, it should spin freely, any drag oyu are creating heat.

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: brandnewb on December 14, 2023, 09:50:34 AM ---yes sir! understood. I did not mean it in a nasty way. But I agree the sound of the word is not the best.

--- End quote ---
We {the Moderators} knew you would understand, but it needed to be said.

Carry one  ;D

Bruce S

brandnewb:
@MattM,

I totally forgot that there has been a change to the MK I cups to make them weigh less. I did not weigh the new version but it feels more like 10 kilo. Not much more than that. Probably even less.

So let's see what will happen with this less fat version.

BTW these are prototype cups that I can only (un)install during low wind weather because of their size and still weight it should not be windy else risk taking off like a flag when a gust of wind gets a hold of it mid installation.
Also for testing it should be dry for a few days as this early test cups are made from fiber board that will turn into porridge when in contact with water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version