Author Topic: New 2.34kw array  (Read 1466 times)

bigrockcandymountain

New 2.34kw array
« on: December 14, 2023, 09:26:08 PM »
15745-0
This is an upgrade I have been thinking about for awhile.  It finally got done.  They are 6 pcs Trina 390w panels.  I picked up a used tristar mppt ts-60 for control, and have been learning how to program it. 

So why are they vertical? I guess I'm not as excited about climbing up on the roof to sweep snow off as i was a few years ago.  The shop wall also gets more light than the house. About an hour more.  The house is tucked in close to the hill that has my turbine on it.  It casts a shadow until 11am this time of year. 

I don't expect much for comments.  Solar panels aren't exactly exciting.  I'm sure happy with the output though.  We had 3kw before, so an extra 2.34kw makes a world of difference. 

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: New 2.34kw array
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 03:57:04 AM »
When the sun is low, vertical PV is good.  And won't get covered in snow, as you say.

I have a couple of vertical panels in the garden pointing due south, and when the sun briefly appears in mid winter they can do very well!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 02:28:17 PM »
Your system expansions keep coming!  Not exciting but I know it's rewarding to see.
I look forward to expansion of my own soon but for now it's all vicarious pleasure.

Looks great - and I notice there's room for more!

Being mid-December, that photo shows the highest the house's shadow will rise on the garage wall (unless I misunderstand the building geometry you mentioned).
A useful point of reference when considering future expansions.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

kitestrings

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 05:30:30 PM »
Nice.  Are these charging the same batteries as the wind turbine, or does the shop have a separate system/bank?  If it is the same one, will you have to add more capacity?  I'm thinking you were getting close to replacing the batteries you had.  ~ks

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 06:09:08 PM »
https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,150842.0.html
I got a deal on a 920ah tubular flooded set.  They are huge.  This all kind of came together at the same time.  Thats a good thing, because my old batteries would have been a bit small with all the charge sources I have now.  (C4 with just the solar)

These new panels feed back into the house batteries as well.  I have a Classic 150 with the original 3kw array on the house roof, a classic 200 for the turbine, and now a TS-60 Mppt with these new panels on it.  15772-0