Formulas and calculators > Coil winding

how to detect eddy currents and measure their negative impact

<< < (2/10) > >>

joestue:

--- Quote from: brandnewb on December 20, 2023, 09:20:55 AM ---Does anyone know where I can buy premade laminated sheets in Europe that are used in coils? I can't seem to find any.

I will need this to compare results.

--- End quote ---

The problem is any attempt to cut slots in the core will short the edges together and this affects the losses far more than anything else does.
saturation of the tooth edges also affects losses far more than the bulk steel does.

figure 5 to 10 watts per kilogram for the core losses of a well designed motor, at 60hz.

brandnewb:
Thank you JW for your compliment.

I will admit though that I have been trying to migrate from this old limping software I use now to blender. I hear the open source blender has gotten add onns that will blow anything out of the water known to man.

But the migration trajectory is too steep for me at the moment so I'll just limp on for the time being using my trusty old setup.

Want to hear something unsettling? No matter I will tell anyway. My kid recently showed interest in what I was doing and I felt motivated to teach. But then I remembered I still use this old software that really should not be tought about anymore ;(

It got me motivated again to move to blender and all its power. I know of nothing better yet. But somehow I am soo busy I seem to not be willing to make the time yet.

But anyway JW. Would you please elaborate on "As far go,s getting material you have to imposes/compromise"? That one has gotten me stuck at the moment ;(

Kind regards

--- Quote from: JW on December 20, 2023, 01:06:15 PM ---Hey nice CAD drawings...   I run Solidworks  2019 and its awesome. As far go,s getting material you have to imposes/compromise   

JW

--- End quote ---

brandnewb:
Thank you Josh for pitching in.

Can you please try and curve your contribution in such a way that I can also make sure I can incorporate it in this scientific trail?

Here are the question marks
* Where do I buy?
* What do I buy?
* How do I prevent all the things I have no idea yet you were talking about.
* How do I setup an experiment that will convince on a scientific nature that I am on the right track or to the contrary?

--- Quote from: joestue on December 20, 2023, 02:20:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: brandnewb on December 20, 2023, 09:20:55 AM ---Does anyone know where I can buy premade laminated sheets in Europe that are used in coils? I can't seem to find any.

I will need this to compare results.

--- End quote ---

The problem is any attempt to cut slots in the core will short the edges together and this affects the losses far more than anything else does.
saturation of the tooth edges also affects losses far more than the bulk steel does.

figure 5 to 10 watts per kilogram for the core losses of a well designed motor, at 60hz.

--- End quote ---

brandnewb:
I could really use some advice regarding if I am using the multimeter correctly to demonstrate that the laminated plating in a transformer still conducts electricity.
And not even a little if I interpret the readings correctly.

Now no matter how close one puts the probes together in this particular iron powder, except for the probes touching of course, the multi meter always display .OL, does not beep and the red light does not light up.

I have great difficulties finding laminated sheets that I can use in my testing to be able to compare results. I might even hit a road block here.

Are there any other tests I can perform to make it possible for me to just trust I am not making a huge blunder going with this iron powder?

{1}Also please try and envision how much more close contact the powder can become with the wires as oppsed to laminated sheets. In fact with powder one can really focus the field enhancing properties exactly there we one needs it. The wires. And not inadvertently create paths for the field to slip around the wires rather than through them when using laminated plating.

How can this not be a huge improvement over traditional? But then again I do make blunders and physics is not my strong suit.

I really hope one is willing to help identify where I am missing the mark here.

{1}

brandnewb:
to make sure I get my point across here is a super fast and loose model of the concept. fast though it actually was not that is why it is loose ;)

the lighter colors are resin filled with a material that can conduct heat very well but does not conduct electricity and also does not conduct magnetic flux.
The darker colors are iron powder filled resin.

And of course a continues loop of 3 phase coils.

Also the rest of the disk made of this lighter part is not shown of course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version