Formulas and calculators > Coil winding

How to determine the limits of a coil / magnet configuration

<< < (2/46) > >>

brandnewb:
sorry guys. I think I am just losing sight of what one meant.

Why not I get out the big guns and starting blowing up some coils ;) ?

Nah but seriously. I am not sure what good it would do if I would weigh my coils.

For one thing I started with a spreadsheet for one of the 0.4mm diam wired coils at 300 winds / 600 turns. it weighs 92 grams.

I already found the material I need to setup the experiment like described but I am not really sure what it is we can learn here. I am sure there is a lot but I am just not sure.

Can I please have some more context?

JW:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX3bN5YeiQs

;D

MattM:
Temperature plays a role.  You may hit temperature issues before maximum watts or volts.

joestue:

--- Quote from: brandnewb on January 04, 2024, 08:52:35 AM ---Can you please elaborate a bit on what is OD and ID.

And what is it I am testing for again?

In my previous thread you mentioned we are looking for the sweet spot for how much mechanical resistance the coils can provide to the magnets to produce amperage or something to that extend.

Is this still related?

--- End quote ---

The point is to find the optimal inner and outer diameter and thickness of a coil that provides the most resistance.

The problem is, the magnet's radius is also a variable. You cant have the magnets too far apart, because when you connect all the coils together, the current is flowing through other coils which are not producing voltage.. so ideally you need 3 test coils, connected in Y, but shorted. Or perhaps better, rectify the test coils and short the rectifier.

So you want to keep your magnet and coil ratio, and magnet spacing (both are variables you can change) such that you ether get a clean sine wave, or a trapezoid, but if your magnets are too far apart, you get a sine wave ish pulse, followed by dead space, then a pulse of the opposite polarity, and this will be worse.. unless you rectify every coil separately.

brandnewb:
understood sir!

Yet I am 99.999% certain I can generate a clean sine wave or a clean trapezoid. Early tests with oscliscopes suggest I can do at least the sine wave.  Going for trapezoid would mean going stacking sideways like Mary suggested or some other exotic configuration one can think of. I like sine waves though ;)

So the goal is to have weight on a tether pulling the test bench and measure the time it takes for it to reach the ground? the longer it takes the better it is?

Or is the point to have the weight on the tether pull a configuration along and see what generates the highest amperage? Is that even possible with shorted coils? I guess so as what is the difference with a load like a resistor?

Where does the weight of the coil come into play again?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version