Author Topic: How to determine the limits of a coil / magnet configuration  (Read 15271 times)

brandnewb

Re: How to determine the lmits of a coil / magnet configuration
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2024, 07:36:21 AM »
ugg!!

I made the mistake to just keep winding before I checked if the shape actually fits the template or not ;(

30 winds at 1mm diam. each coil times 6 of them stacked

But at least this tells me we have got an incredible amount of space left to either compress the coils more narrow or fill it up with a heat dissipation agent like this CU 150um iron powder (I think the CU means non electro conductive due to some coating the particles have gotten)

I am waiting for more steel, to serve as back plating, to arrive as my results without it seem to be subpar :(

brandnewb

« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2024, 07:40:23 AM »
I am so sorry gang and JW. I can no longer insert images "the path can not be empty is the error message"

But I assume that the back end logs all errors yes? whether client or server side.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2024, 09:02:42 AM »
 were all having this issue currently. were getting ready to work it.

In the meantime we have a workaround.

ANY REMOTELY HOSTED IMAGE can be inserted in to you're post. This includes any previous images upload to the FL site. for now we can not upload.

TechAdmin

« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2024, 09:39:53 PM »
Host issue, more than likely updated PHP version without telling us and broke several things (there's more which I won't explain here). @JW please go to cPanel and change PHP version to PHP 7.4, it's most likely set to 8+ as of now.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2024, 02:41:39 AM »
Yes your right it is 8+something. For some reason I cant find the cPanel link.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2024, 02:54:01 AM »
While were at it lets do those upgrades you were talking about. PM me if there is any sensitive info to this.

brandnewb

« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2024, 03:14:33 AM »
I blundered again guys :(

While stacking coils, I failed to also take into account that opposite fields cancel out. So while some coils compound it are others that cancel out.

So if a factor is indeed the interaction between the coils and the magnets then I do not dare to go stacking.

If it is only about reaching a voltage then I would rather stack coils as it is easer to get there then.

{1}and now i think it is not a problem again :(. We will see with the upcoming torque tests. might take a while though as I have to wait for the steel{/1}
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 06:55:48 AM by brandnewb »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2024, 09:17:53 PM »
I've been following your posts for sometime Branubie (if you spelled it like that it would be cool). you mentioned you would like to see a magnetic field. there's a way to do this its taught to all 6th graders in school.

Take your magnet set it on a wood table. put a piece of notebook paper over it (try to make it flat and level) then take some iron filings and sprinkle them on the paper. there you go, you will see the magnetic fieldlines.

JW               

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2024, 10:37:49 PM »
test post

brandnewb

« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2024, 05:47:16 AM »
It's Ok JW,

I actually kind of like it how you are able to give a new spin to my avatar name from time to time. It signals me that you no longer believe I am an actual newb.

But please do trust that I have no credentials what so ever in this field yet.

Yet rest assured I will have once all is said and done.

Anyway I tried uploading the stacked coils image again for context but this "the path can not be empty" error is still preventing me from doing that :(

Given I make no secret of also posting elsewhere shall I just share a link to there? But it feels rather disrespectful to divert traffic from this great community to another. So that is why I have not done that yet.

brandnewb

« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2024, 05:56:38 AM »
And thank you JW for suggesting this powder fieldlines test.

It would have been a great option if I was able to hook up the variable frequency drive (which has a 3 phase output without a neutral (so only 3 wires)) to the stacked coil array. But when I try that the VFD goes directly into error mode.
I am guessing because it senses not enough of resistances in the load and then assumes a short of some kind.

This is because it is important to be able to see the interaction between the coil induced fields in different phases. I tried getting there but my current setup will not allow for it :(
But fear not though. Torque tests can tell us if the coils work properly or not.

{1}and of course I forgot to also state that if anyone can help me figure out how to connect a VFD to the test coils then I am all ears. It would be of immense help on how to test/demostrate the aimed performance (or lack there of) of stacked coil configurations.{/1}

{2}And although playing with powder fields is great as was thought to me at kindergarten before I was born (yeah we role a little different here on the wrong side of the pond :)) I have these sheets of plastic that can show fields in 2 dimensions. visualizing in 3d just means moving the sheet up and down and making a video of it for analysis after the fact.{/2}

{3}The biggest fear I have if we can get a VFD to play nice with stacked coils is that then the volt will be 230. Whether we use powder or this field reactive plastic sheet I think that this voltage is far too high to make it possible to also make assumptions of the fields when at 52 volts.
But at least it could signal early on the the design process if fields destructively interfere or not. I no longer think they will.
{/3}

I've been following your posts for sometime Branubie (if you spelled it like that it would be cool). you mentioned you would like to see a magnetic field. there's a way to do this its taught to all 6th graders in school.

Take your magnet set it on a wood table. put a piece of notebook paper over it (try to make it flat and level) then take some iron filings and sprinkle them on the paper. there you go, you will see the magnetic fieldlines.

JW             
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 06:46:49 AM by brandnewb »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2024, 10:50:56 AM »
It's Ok JW,

I actually kind of like it how you are able to give a new spin to my avatar name from time to time. It signals me that you no longer believe I am an actual newb.

But please do trust that I have no credentials what so ever in this field yet.

Yet rest assured I will have once all is said and done.

Anyway I tried uploading the stacked coils image again for context but this "the path can not be empty" error is still preventing me from doing that :(

Given I make no secret of also posting elsewhere shall I just share a link to there? But it feels rather disrespectful to divert traffic from this great community to another. So that is why I have not done that yet.

upload them to imjur... share the direct link... it acts as a backup if a post here gets corrupted...

brandnewb

« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2024, 06:21:13 AM »
Believe me I have tried reaching a consensus on several fora on how to quantify the abilities of a magnet/coil configuration.

And since I believe the most knowledge people in the field are here I will just keep hammering on.

@Adriaan Kragten (because of general advanced knowledge)
@Joestru (regarding the mechanical resistance and the gravity torque test)
@MaryB (regarding coging)

If you guys would just give it a try then I trust we could finally get there.

The most difficult part seems to be how to get from a measurement of time to something like watts.

Let us get this show on the road gang. You have no idea how much of an importance this is!

{1}And I realize I mentioned already having found a guide on how to do this and at first glance it did look to me like that. But then I found he left out the important bit of how to convert time to watts{/1}

TechAdmin

« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2024, 02:25:56 PM »
The most difficult part seems to be how to get from a measurement of time to something like watts.
Even with my limited understanding, I would be interested into this, if you check how much pain and suffering stators have caused me: https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,150320.0.html you will easily be able to understand why.

brandnewb

« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2024, 05:54:33 AM »
I hope we perhaps can use AI to settle down on a consensus.

And I used the ChatGPT 4 model as to give this conversation the best chance of reaching somewhere plausible.

I know it is a lot of text to go through (by the AI) but please do so and tell me if you think we can build on this process or AI is messing up big time again as it likes to do most of the times.

ChatGPT 4
User
in axial permanent magnet alternators. What is it that is responsible for not the voltage but the wattage capabilities?

ChatGPT

In axial permanent magnet alternators (PMAs), the wattage capabilities, also known as the power output, are influenced by several factors, but not directly by the voltage alone. The power output of an alternator is a function of both the voltage it generates and the current it can supply. The key factors responsible for the wattage capabilities of axial PMAs include:

Magnetic Flux Density: The strength of the magnets and the design of the magnetic circuit in the alternator affect the magnetic flux density. Stronger magnets or a design that effectively concentrates the magnetic flux can increase the electrical output for a given rotor speed.

Rotor and Stator Design: The physical dimensions of the rotor and stator, including the diameter and length, directly influence the power output. A larger size can accommodate more windings or stronger magnets, leading to higher power generation.

Number of Coils and Turns: The number of coils in the stator and the number of turns in each coil affect the alternator's ability to generate electricity. More turns in the winding increase the voltage generated, and appropriately designed coils can also handle higher currents.

Material of Conductors: The type of material used for the windings affects the resistance and efficiency of the alternator. Lower resistance materials allow for more current to flow, increasing the wattage capability.

Cooling System: Effective cooling is vital for maintaining the performance of an alternator. Higher temperatures can increase resistance and reduce efficiency, limiting power output. Adequate cooling systems allow the alternator to operate at optimal conditions for longer periods.

Speed of Rotation: The rotational speed of the rotor influences the frequency and amount of electrical energy generated. Generally, higher speeds can lead to higher power output, assuming the alternator is designed to handle such speeds without excessive mechanical or electrical losses.

Efficiency of the Alternator: The overall efficiency, which is a measure of how well the alternator converts mechanical energy into electrical energy, directly impacts the wattage output. Higher efficiency means less energy is wasted as heat and more is available as electrical power.

Load Matching: The ability of the alternator to match the electrical characteristics of the load also influences effective power delivery. An alternator that is well-matched to its load can deliver more power more efficiently.

In summary, while the voltage is an important aspect of an alternator's electrical output, the wattage (power) capabilities are determined by a combination of factors related to the design and materials of the alternator, as well as the operational conditions such as cooling and rotational speed. These factors work together to determine how much electrical power the alternator can reliably produce and deliver to a load.

User
and what about mechanical (electromagnetical) resistance bwetween the coils and the magnets? Is that a factor?

ChatGPT

Yes, the mechanical (or more accurately, electromagnetic) interaction between the coils and the magnets in an axial permanent magnet alternator does indeed play a significant role in its overall performance, including its wattage capabilities. This interaction can manifest as electromagnetic resistance, often referred to in this context as "cogging" and "eddy current losses," among other effects. Here's how these factors contribute:
1. Cogging Torque

Cogging torque is a form of electromagnetic resistance that occurs due to the interaction between the permanent magnets on the rotor and the slots of the stator in an alternator. It causes a kind of magnetic sticking or reluctance to move when the rotor's magnets align with the stator's slots, leading to uneven rotational movement at low speeds. This can affect the efficiency and smoothness of the alternator's operation but doesn't directly impact the wattage capabilities under constant operation at optimal speeds. However, it can influence the startup torque and thus the mechanical energy required to initiate rotation.
2. Eddy Current Losses

Eddy currents are circular currents induced in the conductor parts of the alternator, such as the stator core, due to the changing magnetic field. These currents generate resistive losses, heating the material and reducing the overall efficiency of the alternator by converting some of the mechanical energy into heat rather than electrical energy. This effect can indeed impact the wattage output of the alternator, as more of the input mechanical energy is lost to heat and less is available for conversion to electrical energy.
3. Hysteresis Losses

Similar to eddy current losses, hysteresis losses occur in the magnetic material of the stator core due to the repeated magnetization and demagnetization of the material by the rotating magnetic field. This also converts some of the mechanical energy into heat, reducing the efficiency and thus the effective wattage output of the alternator.
Mitigation Techniques

Design Optimization: The design of the alternator can be optimized to reduce cogging torque, for instance, by carefully selecting the number of magnets and stator slots, or by using skewed slots or magnets.
    Material Selection: Using materials with lower electrical conductivity for the core can reduce eddy current losses, while materials with low hysteresis loss are preferred for the magnetic core.
    Lamination: The core of the stator is often laminated, meaning it is made of thin layers of magnetic material insulated from each other. This reduces the path and therefore the magnitude of eddy currents, minimizing the associated losses.

In summary, electromagnetic interactions between the coils and the magnets, manifesting as cogging torque, eddy current losses, and hysteresis losses, indeed affect the mechanical to electrical energy conversion efficiency, and thus the wattage capabilities of axial permanent magnet alternators. Through careful design and material choice, these effects can be minimized to improve performance.

User
let us focus on #1. I want to explore 2 things in succession. 1. how to quantify the cogging torque and 2. how to use that measurement to settle on a wattage potential the coil/magnet configuration has

ChatGPT

Quantifying cogging torque and using that measurement to infer the wattage potential of a coil/magnet configuration in an axial permanent magnet alternator involves a multi-step process. Let's break it down:
1. Quantifying Cogging Torque

Cogging torque is the torque due to the interaction between the permanent magnets of the rotor and the stator's slots or teeth that occurs even when no electrical load is connected. It is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) and varies as the rotor turns.
Methods to Quantify:

Finite Element Analysis (FEA): A common method for quantifying cogging torque is through simulation using Finite Element Analysis software. FEA allows for a detailed analysis of the magnetic field interactions and can accurately predict cogging torque over a rotation cycle.
    Experimental Measurement: Cogging torque can also be measured directly using a torque sensor attached to the shaft of the alternator. The alternator is turned slowly, and the torque is recorded at various positions to capture the variation over a complete rotation.

Factors Affecting Cogging Torque:

The number of poles on the rotor and the number of slots in the stator.
    The geometry of the magnets and stator slots.
    The air gap between the stator and rotor.
    The strength of the magnets.

2. Using Cogging Torque Measurement to Infer Wattage Potential

While cogging torque itself does not directly impact the wattage an alternator can produce under load, its measurement can provide insights into the alternator's design efficiency and potential for optimization. Lower cogging torque is generally indicative of a more refined design that may also exhibit lower losses and higher efficiency under load.
Steps to Infer Wattage Potential:

Efficiency Analysis: Start by analyzing the alternator's efficiency. Lower cogging torque can contribute to smoother rotation and potentially higher efficiency since less energy is wasted overcoming the cogging. However, actual wattage potential depends on other factors such as magnetic flux density, the coil's electrical resistance, and the alternator's speed.
    Load Testing: With cogging torque minimized, conduct load testing to measure actual output under various loads. Measure voltage, current, and power factor to calculate real power output in watts.
    Performance Modeling: Using the cogging torque data along with other design parameters, create a model of the alternator's performance across its operational range. This model can predict wattage output under various speeds and loads, considering the alternator's efficiency.

Considerations:

Optimization for Low Cogging: Design strategies to minimize cogging, such as adjusting the magnet-to-slot ratio, skewing slots or magnets, and optimizing the air gap, can lead to more efficient energy conversion, indirectly affecting wattage potential.
    Comprehensive Design Evaluation: While cogging torque is an important aspect of design, evaluating the alternator's wattage potential requires a comprehensive review of all design aspects, including magnetic circuit design, electrical losses (like eddy currents and hysteresis losses), and thermal management.

In summary, quantifying cogging torque is a critical step in evaluating and optimizing the design of an axial permanent magnet alternator. While cogging torque itself doesn't determine wattage potential, a low cogging torque is indicative of a design that may also be optimized for higher efficiency and power output. The ultimate wattage potential is determined through a combination of design optimization, experimental measurement, and performance modeling, taking into account the entire system's operational characteristics.

User
let us use a gravity torque experiment to home in on the torque aspect.
I will first define what is a gravity torque experiment ok?

ChatGPT

Sure, go ahead and define what a gravity torque experiment is, and how you plan to use it in the context of measuring or analyzing cogging torque in an axial permanent magnet alternator. This sounds like an interesting approach!
User
so we have a coil/magnet configuration on a PMA test bench. Then I hook up a weight to be able to rotate said configuration using pullies by droping that weight from a known height.
Then I measure the time difference it takes for the weight to reach the ground coil/magnet configuration between the coils open circuit versus the coils short circuited.

Then we end up with a measurement of time yes?

ChatGPT

Yes, your description outlines an innovative approach to indirectly measure the impact of electromagnetic phenomena (such as cogging torque and induced currents) on the mechanical resistance of a permanent magnet alternator (PMA). By comparing the time it takes for a weight to drop and rotate the PMA's rotor under two conditions—coils in open circuit versus coils short-circuited—you're essentially evaluating how the electrical loading condition affects the mechanical resistance (including cogging and electromagnetic damping effects) of the system.

Here's a breakdown of what happens in each scenario:

Coils Open Circuited: With the coils open-circuited, there's no path for current to flow. Thus, the primary resistance to the rotation comes from cogging torque (due to the magnetic interaction between the stator's teeth and the rotor's magnets) and any mechanical friction in the system. The electromagnetic damping due to induced currents is minimal because these currents cannot circulate.

Coils Short Circuited: When the coils are short-circuited, any motion of the rotor relative to the stator induces currents in the coils (according to Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction). These induced currents create their own magnetic fields, which oppose the motion that generated them (Lenz's Law), adding electromagnetic damping to the system. This damping is in addition to the cogging torque and mechanical friction.

Measuring the Time Difference

Objective: The objective of measuring the time it takes for the weight to drop in both scenarios is to quantify the additional resistance (electromagnetic damping) introduced when the coils are short-circuited.

Expectation: You would expect the weight to drop more slowly when the coils are short-circuited compared to when they are open-circuited due to the additional electromagnetic damping effect.

Outcome: The difference in drop times gives an indirect measure of the electromagnetic resistance imposed by the short-circuited coils. A larger difference indicates a stronger electromagnetic damping effect, which could correlate with the alternator's electromagnetic properties like cogging torque and induced current efficiency.

Analysis

From the time measurements, you can analyze the system's behavior under load and infer aspects of the PMA's design efficiency and performance characteristics related to electromagnetic interactions. However, directly translating these time differences to specific torque values or to the alternator's wattage potential requires a more complex analysis, including understanding the mass of the weight, the height from which it is dropped, and the specifics of the pulley system used (to translate gravitational potential energy to rotational energy effectively).

This experiment provides valuable insights into the system's performance, especially highlighting the effects of electromagnetic damping and cogging torque, but it would be one component of a broader analysis to fully characterize the PMA's performance and efficiency.

User
please note that following parameter  is not set in stone yet but let us consider the following;
the mass to be dropped and pull/rotate the coil/magnet configuration is 50KG. or 5KG or 10KG. that is not of real importance as long as the weight is constant between open vs shorted tests yes?

ChatGPT

Absolutely, your understanding is correct. In the gravity torque experiment you've described, the key variable you're manipulating is the electrical configuration of the coils (open circuit vs. short-circuited), while keeping the mass of the weight constant. This setup allows you to measure the difference in mechanical resistance (manifested as cogging torque and additional electromagnetic resistance when the coils are short-circuited) by observing the time it takes for the weight to drop a known distance.

By keeping the mass constant in both scenarios, you ensure that any difference in the time taken for the weight to reach the ground is due to the difference in the electrical load on the coil/magnet configuration, rather than differences in the gravitational force applied. This method effectively isolates the variable of interest (the electrical loading condition) and allows you to directly measure its impact on the system's mechanical resistance.

The steps in your experiment seem to aim at comparing the mechanical resistance faced by the rotor in two electrical states:

Open Circuit: The coils are not connected, meaning there's no path for current to flow. In this state, the system primarily experiences cogging torque due to the magnetic interactions between the permanent magnets and the stator.

Short Circuited: The ends of the coils are connected, creating a closed loop that allows for current flow when the magnet passes by. This induces a magnetic field in opposition to the magnets' movement (Lenz's Law), increasing resistance above just the cogging torque. This condition simulates the load and allows you to measure the combined effects of cogging torque and electromagnetic resistance.

The difference in time it takes for the weight to drop in these two scenarios gives you a measure of the additional resistance imposed by the electrical loading of the system. This can be a practical way to quantify the system's performance characteristics, particularly in terms of how the electrical design and configuration affect mechanical resistance.

The constant mass ensures that the gravitational force driving the rotation remains the same across tests, making the experiment's outcomes directly comparable. The weight you choose (whether it's 5 kg, 10 kg, or 50 kg) should be sufficient to overcome the static friction and any initial resistance to start the rotation but consistent across different test conditions to ensure the reliability of your results.

User
Now also please consider that the height from which the weight will be dropped also is a constant yes?

ChatGPT

Yes, keeping the height from which the weight is dropped constant is crucial for the consistency and reliability of your experiment. By ensuring that the weight always starts from the same height, you establish a controlled environment where the potential energy at the beginning of each trial is the same. The potential energy (EpEp​) of the weight due to gravity is given by the formula:

Ep=mghEp​=mgh

where:

mm is the mass of the weight,
    gg is the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s29.81m/s2 on the surface of the Earth),
    hh is the height from which the weight is dropped.

If the height (hh) from which the weight is dropped remains constant, any changes in the time it takes for the weight to reach the ground can be attributed to differences in the mechanical resistance of the coil/magnet configuration under the test conditions (open circuit vs. short-circuited coils). This method isolates the variable you're testing (the impact of the coil's electrical state on the system's mechanical resistance) from other potential variables, making your experiment's findings more valid and reliable.

By maintaining both the mass of the weight and the height from which it's dropped as constants, you ensure that any observed differences in the descent time are due to the system's internal characteristics rather than external changes in the experimental setup. This approach allows you to accurately assess how the electrical configuration of the coils impacts the mechanical resistance and performance of the axial permanent magnet alternator in a quantifiable manner.

User
Now here comes the difficult part! are you ready?

ChatGPT

Absolutely! I'm ready to tackle the difficult part. What's the next step or question you have in mind?
User
So let us say that we have measured a time difference of 1 second. Then how can we somehow convert this measurement of time to something like watts?
ChatGPT

Converting the time difference observed in your gravity torque experiment into a measure of power (watts) involves several steps and requires understanding the relationship between mechanical energy, power, and time. The process will include calculating the work done by the gravitational force and the rate at which this work was done (power). Let's break down the steps based on the information provided and the assumption of a 1-second time difference between the open circuit and short-circuited coil scenarios.
Step 1: Calculate the Work Done by Gravity

First, we calculate the work done by gravity on the weight as it falls. The work (WW) done by gravity is equal to the change in potential energy, which can be calculated using the formula:

W=mghW=mgh

where:

mm is the mass of the weight (in kilograms),
    gg is the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s29.81m/s2),
    hh is the height from which the weight is dropped (in meters).

Step 2: Calculate the Time Difference in Energy Conversion Rate

Since you've mentioned a time difference of 1 second between the open circuit and short-circuited conditions, we need to understand this in the context of energy conversion rate (power). Assuming you have the total time it takes for the weight to drop in both scenarios, you can calculate the average power involved in each case.

The power (PP) involved in converting the potential energy into kinetic energy (and overcoming mechanical resistance in the case of the short-circuited scenario) can be calculated using the formula:

P=WtP=tW​

where:

WW is the work done by gravity (calculated in Step 1),
    tt is the time taken for the weight to drop.

Step 3: Calculate the Difference in Power

To find the difference in power due to the electrical loading (open vs. short circuit), you would need the specific times for each scenario. However, given a time difference of 1 second, we assume one scenario takes t1t1​ seconds and the other takes t1+1t1​+1 seconds. You calculate the power for each scenario using the P=WtP=tW​ formula and then find the difference between these power values.
Step 4: Convert Time Difference to Power Difference

Given the complexity of directly translating a time difference to watts without specific times or the height from which the weight was dropped, we can approach this conceptually. The key is understanding that a longer time indicates more work done against electromagnetic resistance (in the short-circuited scenario), which corresponds to a certain rate of energy conversion (power).

For a more precise calculation, we'd need the exact height and the times for each scenario. However, the difference in power can be conceptualized as the additional power required to overcome the electromagnetic resistance in the system, which manifests as a reduction in the rate of energy conversion when the coils are short-circuited.

Would you like to proceed with some example numbers for mass, height, and specific times for each scenario to illustrate these calculations?

User
yes please

ChatGPT

Based on the example parameters provided:

The mass of the weight is 10 kg.
    The height from which the weight is dropped is 5 meters.
    The time taken for the weight to drop in the open circuit scenario is 3 seconds.
    The time taken for the weight to drop in the short-circuited scenario is 4 seconds.

The work done by gravity on the weight as it falls 5 meters is 490.5 joules.

For the open circuit scenario, the average power involved in converting the potential energy into kinetic energy is approximately 163.5 watts. For the short-circuited scenario, the average power drops to about 122.63 watts due to the additional electromagnetic resistance.

The difference in power between the open circuit and short-circuited scenarios is approximately 40.88 watts. This difference represents the additional mechanical resistance (in terms of power) that the system had to overcome in the short-circuited scenario, which can be attributed to the electromagnetic effects of short-circuiting the coils.

This calculation illustrates how the time difference observed in your gravity torque experiment can be translated into a quantifiable difference in power, reflecting the impact of the coil/magnet configuration's electrical state on its mechanical resistance and performance. ​

brandnewb

« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2024, 09:24:18 AM »
I realize it feels like a fludd overflow while it is actually not!!

I am just trying to give you guys the ability to look over my shoulders on how to interact with AI.

And I think I can already tell that I can never trust what this GPT 4 model has to say about anything.

Here I tried to correlate the  wattage results when given different paramters.

____

please take as parameters that the weight is 13kg and the height from which we drop it is 2.4m

with those parameters please recalculate!
ChatGPT

With the updated parameters of a 13 kg weight and a drop height of 2.4 meters, the recalculated values are as follows:

The work done by gravity on the weight as it falls 2.4 meters is approximately 306.07 joules.
    For the open circuit scenario, the average power involved in converting the potential energy into kinetic energy is about 102.02 watts.
    For the short-circuited scenario, the average power drops to approximately 76.52 watts due to the additional electromagnetic resistance.
    The difference in power between the open circuit and short-circuited scenarios is approximately 25.51 watts.

This difference represents the additional mechanical resistance (in terms of power) that the system had to overcome in the short-circuited scenario, which can be attributed to the electromagnetic effects of short-circuiting the coils. ​

User
now is there a difference in watss between our earlier calculation basis and the one I just gave you?
ChatGPT

Yes, there is a difference in the calculated watts between the earlier example and the most recent calculation with the updated parameters you provided. Here's a comparison:
Earlier Calculation (with initial example parameters):

Mass: 10 kg
    Height: 5 meters
    Difference in Power: Approximately 40.88 watts

Recent Calculation (with your updated parameters):

Mass: 13 kg
    Height: 2.4 meters
    Difference in Power: Approximately 25.51 watts

The difference in the calculated power output can be attributed to the change in the parameters of mass and height. In the recent calculation with a 13 kg weight and a drop height of 2.4 meters, the system has less potential energy due to the lower height, even though the mass is greater. The potential energy (Ep=mghEp​=mgh) directly influences the work done (WW) by gravity, which in turn affects the calculated power (P=WtP=tW​).

Therefore, the difference in the scenarios reflects how the potential energy available for conversion (and hence the work done by the system to overcome electromagnetic resistance) is contingent upon both the mass of the weight and the height from which it is dropped. With less potential energy available in the recent setup, the difference in power due to electromagnetic resistance (when comparing open circuit and short-circuited scenarios) is also less.
User
How can we correlate these differences? I had expected for results to be either linear, exponential or even logwise
ChatGPT

To correlate these differences in a way that reflects a linear, exponential, or logarithmic relationship, we need to consider the theoretical foundations of how power is calculated and how it might vary with changes in parameters such as mass and height.
Understanding the Relationships

Linear Relationship: A linear relationship implies that the change in one quantity results in a proportional change in another. In the context of your experiment, a linear relationship might be expected if the difference in power directly correlates with changes in mass or height in a simple additive or subtractive manner.

Exponential Relationship: An exponential relationship suggests that the change in one quantity results in a multiplicative change in another, often seen in processes that have rates of change proportional to their current value.

Logarithmic Relationship: A logarithmic relationship often describes scenarios where the rate of change decreases as the quantity increases, which could be relevant in systems where increases in one factor lead to diminishing returns in another.

Correlating the Differences

To establish a correlation, let's outline the theoretical basis for each parameter's impact:

Mass (mm): The work done by gravity (W=mghW=mgh) suggests a linear relationship with mass, as doubling the mass should, in theory, double the work done (and thus potentially double the power, assuming time (tt) remains constant).

Height (hh): Similarly, the relationship between height and work done is linear within the formula (W=mghW=mgh), suggesting that doubling the height should double the work done.

However, the power (P=WtP=tW​) also depends on the time (tt), which introduces complexity. The time taken for the weight to drop (and thus the time in the power calculation) might not change linearly with mass or height due to factors like air resistance, the dynamics of the pulley system, and the electromagnetic interactions within the generator.
Analyzing the Results

Given the calculations we've done:

The first set of parameters (10 kg, 5 m) resulted in a power difference of approximately 40.88 watts.
    The second set of parameters (13 kg, 2.4 m) resulted in a power difference of approximately 25.51 watts.

The relationship between the changes in parameters and the resulting power difference doesn't neatly fit into a linear, exponential, or logarithmic model without accounting for the dynamics of the entire system, including the impact of time (tt) which varies due to electromagnetic resistance and possibly other factors not strictly related to the mass or height.
Establishing a Correlation

To establish a precise correlation, you would need to:

Perform multiple runs varying one parameter at a time (either mass or height) while keeping all others constant.
    Collect data on the time difference for each run.
    Analyze the data set to determine if the relationship between the changed parameter and the resulting power difference fits a linear, exponential, or logarithmic trend.

Using statistical tools like regression analysis could help identify the nature of the relationship by comparing the coefficient of determination (R2R2) for linear, exponential, and logarithmic models to see which best fits your data.

Would you like to proceed with a hypothetical analysis or further discuss how to set up an experiment to explore these relationships?
____

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2024, 11:31:48 AM »
AI right now is NOT a valid tool. While it may sometimes be accurate at other times it is way off base...

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2024, 04:08:58 PM »
AI is easy, has been since long before it it became public.
It seems to be feeding you the same information that other members have been trying to explain for quite sometime.
It just happens to be long winded about it.

Read the information given to you by Chatty_4 the information given to you by MagnetJuice and MattM .
Step back, have a long thought about all the information you have been given , and rather than just flying into stuff, put on paper, in a note on your phone/computer, on here, a true plan of action so that both you and us know where you are going .

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

brandnewb

« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2024, 09:22:19 AM »
I understand Bruce :(

Please bare with me just a little longer.

I am not known for my information grasping abilities :(

I will come back for duty once I have new results that are worth sharing here in this thread.

brandnewb

« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2024, 01:01:59 PM »
I am soo sorry that I am still not there.

If I want to keep at an inner radius of 300mm then 1mm diam wires will just not make it (and I kind of knew already :( )

So even though @MagnetJuice, who I fully trust and love knows his stuff told me to always stay at and between 0.8mm diam and 1.3mm. (Now here comes the problem)
I only have 0.71mm diam wire in bulk. And this early in the process in where I still have not asked (out of shame and general reluctance because I can feel a crowd a bit) why these specific advised on dimensions of wires!

Anyways here goes with the 0.71mm wire test at 100 windings.

(the context is still a 300mm inner radius)

{1}no, this is not the way to link images :( I will figure out a way later. probably self hosted {/1}

haah yes I know what you are thinking. "But brandubly my dear conjurer of weird things. Why are you still on a 600mm inner radius then?"

Well that is a short cut.
Please forgive me that I really am not looking forward to hard work all the time. So sometimes shortcuts seem a viable option :)
The magnets are spaced and oriented as if they would be on an 300mm inner radius.
And since all I care about is frequency then, with my limited understanding , things are comparable.

and now I realize I was going a bit too fast but I just figured. heyy, why will we not let the 3 phase to dc rectification process take care of the little lower than aimed for voltage? :)

{1}no, this is not the way to link images :( I will figure out a way later. probably self hosted {/1}

Now please note that with thise full coils I am testing now we can actually simply extrapolate linearly. by 48 times.

Next up when my new variac is here is to see what kind of field I can get out of this coil when exposed to 52vDC

MOD EDIT, MERGE
if only paste images from clipboard would be here then I would have never resorted to linking.

In my defense though. Most of you,If not all. already know anyways what I do elsewhere.

{1} I changed my mind. I made a mistake. Hence my modifications in the previous post in this thread.{/1}
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 07:50:50 PM by TechAdmin »

brandnewb

« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2024, 03:50:13 PM »
Reporting for duty Sir!!

So my plan to successfully get our squadron over the line is as follows;

First figure out a coil/magnet configuration that can reach 52 vAC(3p) at 3.7Hz.
If several are found then favor those at the lowest inner radius. {1}as that will decrease build costs and increase the torque the PMA will have to overcome electromagnetic resistance{/1}

Within those favorable configurations, measure the field of individual coils at 52 vDC.

If the field seems impressive (and I have no way other than a gut feeling to know yet :( ) then carry on with that setup towards the gravity torque test.

If there is a noticeable (dare I suggest scary) amount of watts to be had in breaking force only then start building the whole PMA.

And then we see what this rather large torque of the turbine (because it is a rather large turbine) can do with that.

And I realize we can never get more out of the wind then there is in it. And then we have the Betz limit that spoils the party even more. And then we have the fact that I am using the utmost worst performing blades we can ever imagine :(

But if, and only if, that would do something wonderful then I am all for it. And with wonderful is that we can trickle charge a 48V batter array on slow days and power the whole planet on brutal days then that is a fantastic goal is not it? :) how ever naive and fantastical :)

But at least the PMA will not be the problem then. That beast will be ready and waiting for duty!!

Then once I grow more confident about my abilities to make a turbine sturdy, should I have time left in this world, then I can consider about going lift type blades and what have we. And even making the structure floating.

I need all the help I can get Bruce. I am not ashamed to admit that so I ask all the time :)

AI is easy, has been since long before it it became public.
It seems to be feeding you the same information that other members have been trying to explain for quite sometime.
It just happens to be long winded about it.

Read the information given to you by Chatty_4 the information given to you by MagnetJuice and MattM .
Step back, have a long thought about all the information you have been given , and rather than just flying into stuff, put on paper, in a note on your phone/computer, on here, a true plan of action so that both you and us know where you are going .

Bruce S
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 04:09:35 PM by brandnewb »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2024, 09:01:42 PM »
I am soo sorry that I am still not there.

If I want to keep at an inner radius of 300mm then 1mm diam wires will just not make it (and I kind of knew already :( )

So even though @MagnetJuice, who I fully trust and love knows his stuff told me to always stay at and between 0.8mm diam and 1.3mm. (Now here comes the problem)
I only have 0.71mm diam wire in bulk. And this early in the process in where I still have not asked (out of shame and general reluctance because I can feel a crowd a bit) why these specific advised on dimensions of wires!

Anyways here goes with the 0.71mm wire test at 100 windings.

(the context is still a 300mm inner radius)

haah yes I know what you are thinking. "But brandubly my dear conjurer of weird things. Why are you still on a 600mm inner radius then?"

Well that is a short cut.
Please forgive me that I really am not looking forward to hard work all the time. So sometimes shortcuts seem a viable option :)
The magnets are spaced and oriented as if they would be on an 300mm inner radius.
And since all I care about is frequency then, with my limited understanding , things are comparable.

and now I realize I was going a bit too fast but I just figured. heyy, why will we not let the 3 phase to dc rectification process take care of the little lower than aimed for voltage? :)

Now please note that with thise full coils I am testing now we can actually simply extrapolate linearly. by 48 times.

Next up when my new variac is here is to see what kind of field I can get out of this coil when exposed to 52vDC

MOD EDIT, MERGE
if only paste images from clipboard would be here then I would have never resorted to linking.

In my defense though. Most of you,If not all. already know anyways what I do elsewhere.

{1} I changed my mind. I made a mistake. Hence my modifications in the previous post in this thread.{/1}

Can wind 2 in hand and be equivalent to 1mm.

Quit worrying about the field produced by the coil with voltage applied, it has zero bearing on this!

brandnewb

« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2024, 03:42:10 PM »
yet again I was at fault, not AI. for so it seems. In where I first though that there was no linearity I now think there is.

Sure it is not perfect but close enough that I call this linear.

JW, I am going to make a suggestion in a DM with other mods  :)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 04:38:37 PM by brandnewb »

brandnewb

« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2024, 10:02:41 AM »
@MagnetJuice,

These magnets you suggested are INSANE!

Even though of a lower grade than the ones we use here, and therefor a relatively lower peak field at the center center of a pole. The field is like a mushroom cloud only Oppenheimer could have imagined!!

MK II of the alternator will be 192 of those!!

this is getting ridiculous :)

brandnewb

« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2024, 02:44:38 PM »
@MagnetJuice,

These magnets you suggested are INSANE!

Even though of a lower grade than the ones we use here, and therefor a relatively lower peak field at the center center of a pole. The field is like a mushroom cloud only Oppenheimer could have imagined!!

MK II of the alternator will be 192 of those!!

this is getting ridiculous :)

I am getting really nervous now gang. Given the extreme superiority of the magnets above versus the one we have here I am kind of winding into a negative spiral.

I mean all things considered 16 x these over powered  (in this context) magnets vs 192 x a lesser magnet can't be a match already decided yes?

someone please help me out of my misery!

brandnewb

« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2024, 07:36:17 AM »
So I could really use some of our readers gut feelings here as I am about to start building but before I do I need to make a choice between serpentine and closed loop coils.

I will lay out the pro's and cons for each option as far as my research has told me. And sure I could have done things wrong and am drawing the wrong conclusions but such is life and I need to get going!

serpentine:
pro:
* there is a magnetic field between all legs making for a more spread field over all the magnets.
con:
* there will be no more ability to modularize the PMA (de) installation if we are going for maximum coil density.
 * if we would accept the start and end coils of each phase to be half density then modularization is still possible.

* we'd probably end up with a few failed attempts thus wasting quite some copper wire.

closed loop:
pro:
* easy to wind and install
con:
* there is no magnetic field in between coils of the same phase.

choices choices. I am leaning towards serpentine though but I really could use some gut feelings one might have.

{1}I forgot to mention that stacking coils is basically the same thing as serpentine as far I have understood my results thus far. But then with more wire length which I am still not sure about if that is a good or bad thing. I am leaning towards we should keep the resistance in the wires to a minimum but I have read other sources suggesting the contra yet I do not remember where{/1}
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 07:51:14 AM by brandnewb »

MattM

« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2024, 11:38:10 AM »
With your stick magnets could you run a stack of mini-coils in serial to boost voltage?  Perhaps instead of 30 wraps you stack three 10s in a line.

brandnewb

« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2024, 12:16:47 PM »
I tried that once in pairs of 2. not 3. But than rather narrow over only the magnet width of 10mm.

The results were so abysmal that I quickly burried that work and never told anyone about it :)

But I guess you are suggesting to break up a full shaped coil into separated parts? That I have not tried yet.

But I can only imagine it will hurt the field forming abilities whilst boosting the voltage forming abilities.

But if you could give me a little bit more of your train of thought then why not I just try it out for size?

brandnewb

« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2024, 08:42:39 AM »
With your stick magnets could you run a stack of mini-coils in serial to boost voltage?  Perhaps instead of 30 wraps you stack three 10s in a line.

I just figured why this probably will not work. That is if I understood your intend correctly.

The length of the coil legs in the field is a factor in voltage creation. If we break this up into smaller parts then we will be adding relatively less of leg length into the field and adding more resistance to phase in total because of the extra wire needed to close the loops.

MattM

« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2024, 02:58:15 PM »
I tried to post  a pic but got sidetracked.

I hadn't seen the length of the coil leg being so critical, just area.  That would impair the strategy in that case unless using wedge coils to maximixe area.

brandnewb

« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2024, 05:07:58 PM »
hmm ok well it should be easy enough to experimentally find out whether it is about the area of wires in a field (also translated as the total length of the wire in a field)

or like I propose about the length of the wire that runs perpendicular to the motion of the field.

Now if the orientation of the wire does not matter than that opens up a whole new world of possibilities. I am going a little overboard now but then having 2mm diam micro coils is becoming a possibility.

But just try putting a coil on its side when running magnets over it. I found it does next to nothing. I am not sure if this is related or that I drawn the wrong conclusions. And what ever it did do any field that might have been produced will never reach the magnets.

However, my vantage point is a coil shape that matches the magnet positioning.

If you were referring to circular coils then all bets are off and we might find something wild indeed :)

{1}after more thought it will probably be a dead end. Now I am willing to try because of respect for the community and why not lets try things yes
But, by my current visualisation, the micro coils will end up getting opposing induced currents and end up doing next to nothing
{/1}
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 05:33:40 PM by brandnewb »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2024, 06:58:27 PM »
Brandnewb,

YOUR POSTING TO MUCH

your crowding the forum.

You are being rude to the long time users.

If you keep it up I will delete your account. the admins wont be able to recover your account.

JW

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2024, 07:55:46 PM »

Im just going to say it once.   "Jonny Cool pants"