Homebrewed Electricity > Solar

Output of solar panels depending on slope and azimut

<< < (2/3) > >>

Adriaan Kragten:
The calculations of the output have been reviewed because I took a too high peak power of a solar panel size 1 * 1.65 m. The peak power is reduced from 400 W up to 300 W.

brandnewb:

--- Quote from: Adriaan Kragten on March 25, 2024, 02:12:48 PM ---The calculations of the output have been reviewed because I took a too high peak power of a solar panel size 1 * 1.65 m. The peak power is reduced from 400 W up to 300 W.

--- End quote ---

Dear Adriaan,

So in general; if one has far too much power generated by the solar panels oriented in a east-west back to back setup in summer times. with as goal generating as much as possible during winter times.
even after you have refined your study a bit based on the new peak values.

Would you still conclude that an optimal south facing orientation of the panels, even though now needing more spacing between rows, will benefit the power generation during winter times?

If that is the case then I need to find some new and inventive ways to reposition more than 22 panels as my roof is already maxed out :( (I now have 44 panels in a east-west back to back configuration)

One thing I have been considering is to have floating arrays of panels. But especially during winter time the sun is rather low so I will need to have them float outside of my property to have full sun. But I guess no one minds as then we have little to no boating activity during those times anyway. But then that damned freezing that could happen. Now I have to think of a raft type that can deal with that.

{1}reason I ask is because I am trying to transition away from grid connected as even though netmetering has been extended for some time by our government again. electrical utility providers are actively trying to circumvent the loss of revenue by employing really nasty tricks like for people with smart meters. Some if not most of them are now being taken from behind by now netmetering will be done on a monthly basis rather than annually.

I am ecstatic I have always resisted the installation of a smart meter. And please believe me they tried! hard!!{/1}

MattM:
Besides the original devices being rolled out via a discrete Chinese partnership, it sure seems odd the incessant push for these smart meters as they literally made zero impact on the grid.  Your solar panels facing east-west are probably only superior under dynamic loads like net metering, where you would be softening price gouges at peak draws.  But if you are overproducing during the day with a storage system, to cover your night usage, it would seem south facing would be a wise choice.  Regardless, without adjustments for slope the choice is pretty much permanently made at installation.  Moving panels without reroofing is adding holes to the boat.

Mary B:

--- Quote from: MattM on March 27, 2024, 07:53:29 AM ---Besides the original devices being rolled out via a discrete Chinese partnership, it sure seems odd the incessant push for these smart meters as they literally made zero impact on the grid.  Your solar panels facing east-west are probably only superior under dynamic loads like net metering, where you would be softening price gouges at peak draws.  But if you are overproducing during the day with a storage system, to cover your night usage, it would seem south facing would be a wise choice.  Regardless, without adjustments for slope the choice is pretty much permanently made at installation.  Moving panels without reroofing is adding holes to the boat.

--- End quote ---

Smart meters made revenue jump/bills jump because they can measure the power factor all the switch mode supplies put on the grid, old analog meters didn't.

brandnewb:

--- Quote from: MattM on March 27, 2024, 07:53:29 AM --- Regardless, without adjustments for slope the choice is pretty much permanently made at installation.  Moving panels without reroofing is adding holes to the boat.

--- End quote ---

Nah, I designed and build my home. So in this case restructuring the panels has nothing to do with the structure of roof the (that is in fact not a roof in terms of structure but just another floor) they are situated on. Other than of course the dimensions they allow for panels to be placed on.

But in general terms you might well be correct. And I did ask for an in general response.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version