Homebrewed Electricity > Solar

Dual Power Transfer Switch - Is it Possible???

(1/2) > >>

Dirtydiesel:

I want to wire both generators to some kind of manual transfer switch where I can hook up both hots and neutral to one side of switch from 240v generator (4 prong twist lock) for welding and just one hot and neutral (120V) to other side of switch from Yamaha 3000watt (3 prong twist lock )when I want to charge solar batteries. As a side note, if I am charging batteries and the 30amp double pole house breaker is on, the welder 30amp double pole breaker would be off and vice versa on the gen shed breaker panel.

I have seen dual switches like CNC (it won't let me upload picture) but I don't think they have a terminal for neutral and ground wires, I believe just for the hots.

I would appreciate any suggestions or idea you may have to figure out if this is an option.

bigrockcandymountain:
I built a panel interlock that is just some sliding steel plate, that makes it impossible to turn 2 breakers on until one is turned off.  It took a bit of drawing and head scratching, but once i had it fugured, it was unbelievably simple.  It's all just breakers in a standard panel.  All i built was a sliding plate out of 1/8" steel. 

I also can't post pictures.

I can't exactly picture what you are trying to do, but maybe something like that would work. 

Dirtydiesel:
Hey, I am trying to hook up a 240v generator and a 120V generator to power a breaker panel box which will then send the power to the house. I want to be able to use a switch to decide which generator I am going to use. I wish I could upload a picture so I can show what I am trying to do, it would be much easier to understand.

Mary B:

--- Quote from: Dirtydiesel on April 10, 2024, 10:23:58 PM ---Hey, I am trying to hook up a 240v generator and a 120V generator to power a breaker panel box which will then send the power to the house. I want to be able to use a switch to decide which generator I am going to use. I wish I could upload a picture so I can show what I am trying to do, it would be much easier to understand.

--- End quote ---

you only need to switch hot phases, grounds are common... but make sure you use a lockout or transfer switch on the main panel to not back feed the grid!!!

Dirtydiesel:
Thanks, I won't need to worry about back feeding a grid, I am totally offgrid, no utilities run to my property

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version