Author Topic: Open Letter to the community  (Read 4128 times)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Open Letter to the community
« on: June 13, 2003, 01:14:54 AM »
Greetings;

Anyone who has read this forum over the past year and a half or so will know who I am on this site.

I feel that I have contributed substantially over the course of my membership in this community. Just search this site for comments posted by me

Here is the link

You will find well over 100 comments.

and you will see that I try very hard to be honest and consistant in my postings and share what knowledge I have of electronics and other fields as I can. I am not always right and when proven wrong I accept it and move on. I try very hard not to let emotion get involved because it does no good to do so.  I sign every post or story I submit as TomW because I stand behind my words. I have broadband and always come from the same IP# and every post I have made has come from that IP#. I do not have a multiple personality disorder that I am aware of at this time.

I have recently been accused of multiple accounts and posting from those accounts in support of myself. This is pure and utter BULL$#|+ [sorry if that offends you]. I have also been accused previously of asking for editor status. This, too is the leftovers that exit the bull daily. When The Dans left for the Guemes Island mill building seminar they asked if I would watch the then new board while they were out of town. I accepted simply because I wanted to help and I felt I owe those guys for providing a nice and at one time friendly resource.

So if you as a community want me to go away that can be arranged and I will gladly surrender my editor status if the community desires that. I will not, however, stand by and quietly watch the idiots ruin the place without at least a verbal fight.

If you truly feel I have overstepped my authority here simply email the admins and request my resignation from the forum. If the consensus is I'm a deterent to the peaceful continuation of the forum I will walk away.

I honestly don't know what the right solution is but I think it has become quite obvious to many that something is gravely wrong here lately. My very first step would definitely be edit queue for all Anonymous Hero stories so they do not go straight to the front page. Secondly I would enact a policy that allows any and all anonymous comments to be deleted for off topic, unfriendly or just not being nice.

Oh and by the way, if I was really so hell bent on keeping these idiots quiet every post on the board has a delete button next to it for me. I have only used it once or maybe twice other than on request of the poster in the case of test messages etc.

I won't even get into honor and decency because that cannot be taught and the opposition does not seem to possess it in any quantity.

Cheers.

TomW.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 01:14:54 AM by (unknown) »

RogerAS

Re: Open Letter to the community
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 06:54:28 AM »
TomW,

I for one feel that if you are "shown the door" the forum will be a lesser body. Please do not let the fools win and leave us.

RogerAS

« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 06:54:28 AM by RogerAS »

elvin1949

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 07:50:01 AM »
tomw
don't listen to people who put you down
i came here to learn 6 mo's ago more or less
learning a lot from you
thank's
elvin1949
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 07:50:01 AM by elvin1949 »

troy

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 08:34:13 AM »
Hi Tom,

I think this is a classic case of a very vocal minority (a tiny minority at that) having a big bad influence on the group as a whole.  Definitly don't leave, as we need all the backbone we can get to deal with those who never learned how to behave in public.  As I read those unreasonable and ridiculus posts, I am often reminded of a very spoiled 8 year old throwing a tantrum.

I have voted several times to do away completely with anon. posting, which would help somewhat I think.  Or the preview/vote idea would be fine too.  Something clearly needs to be done.

I proudly state my opinion and sign my name to it: If anything, you have been too nice.  Go ahead, take the gloves off and show them the door until they learn to be respectful.

I would happily put it to a vote as I firmly believe we are in the majority here.

Best Regards,

troy

« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 08:34:13 AM by troy »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 08:50:41 AM »
I wouldn't fret about it Tom...

Trick is I guess (and I need to work on it... and your the one who's advised me of it!) - just ignore the postings (or the folks) that are irritating and they'll either go away or find someone else to talk to!

I think soon we will dis-allow anon postings, but at this time, since we just shut down the old board, I think we need to give some of the new folks (and there are quite a few) a bit of time to figure things  out.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 08:50:41 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Gordy

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 09:46:52 AM »
Tom W

Hang in there I've also been here about 6 months. And I've apreciated your input.

As for honor, decency, and I'd add common sence and common certicy they can be taught, but todays society won't allow it. I say this because my father and grand father taught them to me. And on occasion when I'd forget dad would remind me and I'd pay the concequence by receiving the belt to my bottom... Today the kids are taught that they can have their parents jailed for this type of reenfocement. Personaly I think groundings and time outs are a waste of time. So with out proper concequences society is going to HELL and us decent people are told we have to put up with the others.

OOPS looks like I climbed up on the soap box again ;-) hang in there we will survive.

Good luck  Gordy
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 09:46:52 AM by Gordy »

windstuffnow

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 10:48:55 AM »
   There are alot of good people in this community and it should stay that way.  Unfortunately, there are a couple now and then that choose to disrupt things a little.  Some pop in, cause a little problem and leave.  They will always come and go.  Simply over look them and continue on with what your doing.  Great job Tom

Ed

« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 10:48:55 AM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

RogerAS

P.S.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 11:54:23 AM »
Those doubting I'm not TomW,

My name is Roger A. Stephenson.

I live in north central Arkansas.

I can be reached by phone @ 800-276-2550 from 8-5 central time, or 870-793-2550.

My email address is rogeras@cei.net.

I am a professional graphic designer.

I am NOT TomW!

I don't know who the idiot is that thinks this whole thing is a single person. Maybe, just maybe, the paranoia is so real to him it is unsurmountable without professional help.

Roger A. Stephenson

NOT TomW, (but kinda wishin' I was).

P.S. Sorry to TomW & the rest of the forum, I can only tolerate false claims so long.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 11:54:23 AM by RogerAS »