Author Topic: Rural living  (Read 832 times)

BT Humble

Rural living
« on: April 18, 2005, 10:13:39 PM »
The wedding & honeymoon plans are coming along nicely, which translates as "All I've had to do is fork out $5000 and relax!" ;-)

I spent most of my weekend building shelving along the back wall of my "new" shed.  Here's a pic of it a few months ago so that you have an idea of how it looks:

The shelving runs the entire length of the back wall 6m(20'), 4 shelves at approximately 500mm(19") centres, 2m(6'6") tall, and 600mm(2') deep.  I made all of the framework out of old pallets that I retrieved from behind some shops where I park at work, so the total cost was about $10 for nails.

And the best part was that in 1 1/2 days of flogging away at timber with a hammer, I only mashed my thumb ONCE!  (Although I did do a good job of it when it happened, and had quite a few things to say.  Well, OK, it was basically a lot of repetitions of the same word...)

A mate dropped by on Sunday afternoon to have a look at some roofing tin and timbers that I have stockpiled, since he needs to build a fairly large shed quickly (and, needless to say, cheaply).  Since he's a motorcycle mechanic and I'm sick to death of performing motorcycle maintenance, a barter deal seems likely.  I've spent a bit of time on a design for him, it'll be a flat-roof pole structure with 3.5 degree pitch on the roof, 12m wide by 8m deep by 3.1m tall on the high side.  The numbers I've done for the required additional timber, nails, bolts, screws, joist hangers, etc. comes to about $1000, which still seems like a bit of a bargain for a 100-square-metre shed, (admittedly with a dirt floor).

Side and front views:

Top view:

Key:  white=poles, light blue=10"x2", dark blue=6"x2", purple=3"x2"

Structures like this look pretty flimsy, but once you put walls on them they tighten up quite well (and having 12 posts each 1m deep in the ground keeps them pretty firmly in place, too!)

So we'll be off into the scrub on my neighbour's place this weekend playing lumberjack.  I'm going to miss this lifestyle...

BTH

« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 10:13:39 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Rural living
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 05:33:40 AM »
BTH, wall and roof bracing inclusive I assume, silly question for someone like you but your plan does not show any.

allan

« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 05:33:40 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

BT Humble

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 04:19:50 PM »

BTH, wall and roof bracing inclusive I assume, silly question for someone like you but your plan does not show any.

[Smacks self in forehead, adds "bracing" to shopping list...]

BTH

« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 04:19:50 PM by BT Humble »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 03:01:02 PM »
I still get shed envy looking at your building.

With that much open area in doorway I'd find some hurricane strap to lock down trusses after they've been bolted in place - a couple of hours of 'once-in-50-years' gusts can loosen up bolted timbers by flexing surrounding wood around the bolt washers, the metal straps let it move but check its movement on the "lifting away" axis.

Even using the stamped galvanized joist hangers you mentioned, they are made for downward thrust loads - 2-inch wide galvanized roofing tin folded over and draped over the beams and fastened w/ wide washers 6-8 inches below the hanger bracket...

good luck lumberjack'n

« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 03:01:02 PM by DanG »