Author Topic: Hughs 4 ft progress.  (Read 1797 times)

Jerry

Hughs 4 ft progress.
« on: January 09, 2007, 04:44:01 AM »
I'll be winding the 85 turns per coil of the 16 ga. This will be for the stock stator.

I'll also be winding another set of coils for my second test stator with 340 turns of 22 gage wire. 22 ga. is 1/4th the circular mills of 16 ga. In the star configuration 4 coils at any given time are in sires. The idea here is for 1 coil of 22 ga. to equal the voltage of 4 #16 ga. wound in sires but without the votage loss of star.

The discs are machined and ready for magnets. I built an extra disc. I'll be trying this alt with a second disc also in a test as well as Hughs disign with the single disc with no laminations.

The 2 stator forms are cut and ready for coil inseartion and reson. The shaft and bearing asembly is just about ready.

The 12 inch aluminum stator support/heat sink plus 6 fullwave bridges are ready for the high turn stator.

The standard 2 bridge package will be used on the 16 ga. stator.

After this unit is finished the 2 stators will be tested for RPM per volts, power at rpm under load. Power requied by prime driver motor to produce X amount of power.

Coil temperature after 1 HR run time at X amount of wattage, Wind test 16 ga. stator versess 22 ga. stator and ect.

This will all take time. I just do a littel here and a littel there.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 04:44:01 AM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Re: Hughs 4 ft progress.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:17:59 AM »
I'm looking forward to those tests I like the torque and temp  measurment idea . Should be very close .
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 09:17:59 AM by tecker »

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 09:53:48 PM »
I've noticed over the last several years or so that many of 3 phase dual rotor disc alts have had burnt coil problems.

When I first reported my first and second dual rotor disc alt and using 24 and 22 gage wire some folks sugjested that wire was way to small, it would burn up and not produce much power.

I'm very happy to report that none of those problems have ocured. As a matter of fact the big NW wind storm last month realy pushed my littel 8" dual rotor to wattage figures that have burnt up much larger and heavyer machines. However those machines are wired star.

60 amps from 9 coils wound with 22 ga. seems incorect and not survivable. Thats true for star configuration so why did mine survive?

I know the answer to this and over the next few months I hope it will become very easy to understand.

I hope to build at least 3 maybe 4 alts to test my idea. This will take some time.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 09:53:48 PM by Jerry »

Gary D

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 05:25:44 AM »
Hang in there Jerry! It's quite interesting that those rectifiers have been pushed well past their ratings and survived. Could a bit of it be the "down time" when they have no current pushing thru them? Would be great to see you attempt a 10 footer such as Dan's with 9 or 10 coils rigged your way flying on your Car Sterio roof! Might make up for some or all of the lost mills power last year. If you're not into carving the blades, I think you know who has them on ebay(our host). Only time will tell. Dunno... ;-)  Gary D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 05:25:44 AM by Gary D »

kurt

• website
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:04:39 AM »
hey jerry what size magnets are you using in this mill agean??
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:04:39 AM by kurt »

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:16:30 PM »
Hi Kurt.

I'm using 8 of the 2"X 1" X 1/2" NEOs as per Hughs instructions. I've purchased them from our host.

I'm following Hughs instruction also with the 9" steel disc and the 6 coils 85 turn  of #16 wire , wired star.

Some of the physical parts will be  a littel diferant but none of these diferances will have any effect on power output or preformance. In those terms it will preform the same as though Hugh built it.

I will test the unit stock and then try some mods and retest.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:16:30 PM by Jerry »