Author Topic: New Single Disc Axial  (Read 807 times)

Spdlmt150

New Single Disc Axial
« on: September 20, 2007, 02:22:16 AM »

Now that I've had the 3 foot $40 windmill sitting out back (to test things out & introduce the neighbors to my obsession) I decided it's time to go up to something with some actual output.

The 3 footer has peaked around 2.5 amps charging. Pipe fittings, saw blades, 1/2 X 1/4 inch neos, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Now comes the real mill. The design is an 11 inch Honda brake rotor on a cut down 3500 lb trailer spindle. It should be bulletproof.

It is all modeled & ready to rip. Just machined the rotor tonight & I'm hyped to get it together.

It will be a three phase, 1.25 inch by .5 inch neos (get ready for the order - it's coming soon) and my first attempt at a stator will be with 16 gauge high temp wire. I have been looking into having a laminate custom made, and things are looking good. I think the single disc laminate design with the hub machined to fit into the disc as I have done should completely eliminate any stator rub failure possibility.

Now that the disc is machined (.03 inch deep pockets to locate the mags) I only need to order the mags, get the laminate made, wind coils, & knock out some (ugly as I usually get it) welding.

I'll continue on as soon as funding allows.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 02:22:16 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: New Single Disc Axial
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 06:12:04 AM »
The 4 arms on the rear are to hold the stator?  Adjustment with bolts?

They don't look all that solid to me, but you know more about that stuff than I do.

What is the big ring for?  (SD sheet, bottom left) Laminates?

Did you do a write up about the 3 footer?

G-

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 06:12:04 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: New Single Disc Axial
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 09:47:07 PM »
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:47:07 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller