Author Topic: Bottled Water Method  (Read 3466 times)

juiced

Bottled Water Method
« on: November 16, 2004, 09:19:26 AM »
I was thinking of putting bottles of water along my baseboard eletric heaters to save some money.

I have noticed some room for play in the variables.

Should the water be in:  bottles?

Cans?

Plastic Containers?

A single, long skinny container?

Should the containers: Be directly on the heat source?

Have a breathing space between bottoms and heat source?

Have space between them?

Be 100% full (close under water to ensure no air)

Be vacume packed?

Stacked?

Insulated?

Shaped? (smaller top = faster loss of heat (i belive) )

Should the air: Flow on its own? (radiate)

Be pushed by fan?

Controlled by duct?

Sit for periods?

Output or intake as primary?

I was thinking, if it works.... Build a small "enclosed" sheet metal shelf that would have an airspace gap between the heater and the metal. Use beer bottles with the foam pipe insulation and corks. Put a duct near the floor and hope the air currents suck the cold air up, pumping out hot air (increasing in speed and effiecancy as hot air builds up and displaces the cold air).

Expertise? Comments? Suggestions? Thanks!!!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 09:19:26 AM by (unknown) »

Mentally Moribund

Re: Bottled Water Method
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 08:17:57 PM »
interesting concept.  I would recomend using a large copper pipe if possible, copper has the highest heat transfer ratio of metals.  The easiest solution to any air in a sealed system would be an air chamber above the water level, like one of those copper rocket looking (air chamber) deals for eliminating banging pipes, this should take care of any preasure build up from expanding air.  Depending on the construction of your dwelling, if possible it would increase efficiency to be able to run piping (pref. copper even 1/4" would do well) back and forth under the floor.  Run a larger copper pipe over your electric base board 1 1/4" and pump the heated water through the floor grid.  It all depends on how much effort/cost you want in it.  Hope this has helped.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 08:17:57 PM by Mentally Moribund »