Author Topic: Hydrogen Fuel Cell For Heat - Reply to Derek  (Read 2223 times)

Aelric

Hydrogen Fuel Cell For Heat - Reply to Derek
« on: November 24, 2005, 07:49:24 AM »
1st off Sorry for the extra Posting Dan, I just wanted to get in a reply to Derek but wasn't getting a reply link on any of the postings after I logged in.

Now for Derek's question.  Hydrogen Fuel Cells can be used to electrolyze water.  But under normal operation a Fuel Cell collects energy given off by Hydrogen and Oxygen combining into Water.  This Produces both electricity and heat, and yes the excess heat given off could be used for other purposes.  Here is a link explaining electrolysis in more detail:

http://www.physchem.co.za/Redox/Electrolysis.htm

The way that a Fuel Cell can produce H2 (Hydrogen) and O2 (Oxygen) is when it is run in reverse.  By adding electricity to a cell submerged in water it will generate H2 and O2, H2 at the cathode and O2 at the anode.  (little footnote here, pure H20 doesn't conduct electricity very well so a good electrolyte like KOH (Potassium Hydroxide) or H2SO4 (Sulpheric acid) will help the energy get between the posts)  Platinum is usually used because it is a good catalyst, it does not interfere with the reaction and is resistant to much of the effects of electrolysis, carbon rods can be used for the electrolysis part though)  

When a Fuel cell runs normally it takes in H2 and O2 yielding H20 + O2 + electricity and heat.  There are some good articles on homepower files section that go into good detail on how they are constructed.  

Here is a link about Fuel cells including a small project:

http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/echem/fuel_cell/fuel_cell.html

The long and short is yes you can make heat with fuel cells, and electricity.  Sorry if I went back over stuff you already know.  Its just a subject I really like.  One day would love to play with some :-)  I have played with an electrolysis setup in high school lab, we split water.  Just haven't run it in reverse.  Have fun and if you do look any deeper into fuel cells let us know, would love to hear about it :-)

« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 07:49:24 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Truth or fiction
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 07:25:34 AM »
I'll post a bit here just for the Hell of it.

Hydrogen is dangerous.  Hydrogen has been used in torches for scores of years. It is one of the preferred gases for oxy/fuel welding of Aluminum.

At this time I doubt any sane and responcible preson should use the gas outside of a controlled enviornment in known and proven devices.  In other words, it is not a nice thing to expirement with for the ignorant and stupid.

It is my opinion one should see a small Hyrogen explosion early in their playtimes. They should have also picked through a few car wrecks and maybe fielddressed some small game or similar things. Then they should imagine combining all that in teh event the family is toasted in the 'homebrew hydrogen' play. You can't rewind the projects unless you are superman.

Ron

« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 07:25:34 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"