Author Topic: Waste Oil Burner  (Read 1309 times)

robotmaker

Waste Oil Burner
« on: November 03, 2004, 10:17:05 AM »
Just a note to let anyone that is interested, a website devoted to the variation of burner/stove I made to heat my 1200 square foot shop.  Please visit http://www.eqg.biz/wob

pictures and details..

rj

« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 10:17:05 AM by (unknown) »

phil b

Re: Waste Oil Burner
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 06:23:32 PM »
Nice design! I'd say you know your way around a welding shop. Tacking in several places to keep warpage down and the like.

I experimented something more crude for a several years ago. It was a 6" coffee can with 1/4" holes spaced around it set inside a 5 gallon metal bucket with air entering the bucket on a tangent. Mine put out a lot of heat and a LOT of smoke -like a freight train! I got used oil from different folks and I'd have to change air-fuel ratios with each new load. The can lasted about a week. Finally, I bought some firebrick repair stuff for wood stoves and cast it into the same size as the coffee can. That has held up through 2 seasons, so far.

Does you design smoke?

Have you tried to use a propane burner to preheat the chamber?

Just some ideas.. I think it's a great design! Have fun!

phil

« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 06:23:32 PM by phil b »
Phil

robotmaker

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 09:26:28 PM »
Thanx Phil.

I am not a welder by trade, but have done quite a bit for myself, and can weld in all forms including gas, mig and tig.  I find it saves quite a bit of money when you can do it yourself.

This stove only smokes when you first light it off, and for only until you kick in the air supply.  Then, you have to stare at the chimney output to see the heat wave.  Thats about the only tell-tale you have that it's running at all.

rj
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 09:26:28 PM by robotmaker »

MissKerryLynn

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 02:56:31 PM »
Hi RobotMaker,

I like so many others I am sure am appalled at the price of utilities and have started to look for alternatives, not only for recycling and polution but also because it is only November and I cannot afford to heat my house past 60 degree's and my daughter thinks she shouldn't wear jackets inside!  There has to be a FAR better alternative then letting some rich company get richer.  As far as Waste Oil burners yours seems to have alot of information and is well tested, Something that is very important to someone who knows nothing about any of this!  My two questions where these;

1. ) i can't connect to the website that you have posted with all the 'poop' in one place and am having a hard time putting together all of the different area's with the many suggestions.
  2. ) i know nothing about welding and other such things.  Is there a way to put together a 'shopping list' of what would be needed if you were to actually buy some of the parts of a lumber type store?  I realize some of them are from junk yards, but an overall shopping list of what you need itemized out would be a very helpful beginning.

I also read somewhere, on some string at this site that you heated your pool with a similar heater.  Do you believe that this would work equally as well on a hot tub?  I thought perhaps since it has so much less water to cycle through the temperature would be higher?

Thank you for your time, i really do appreciate it and your intelligence in this matter.

Kerry Lynn
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 02:56:31 PM by MissKerryLynn »