Author Topic: Green House w/Solar Chimney  (Read 3028 times)

FrankG

Green House w/Solar Chimney
« on: April 17, 2006, 03:26:51 AM »
The link below is to a small Green House we built this spring with a small twist in that it will have a Solar Chimney to promote venting of summer heat from the machine shop located on the floor below.

http://www.theworkshop.ca/energy/grnhouse/grnhouse.htm

FrankG

www.theworkshop.ca

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 03:26:51 AM by (unknown) »

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: Green House w/Solar Chimney
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 11:41:58 PM »
The weather looks dismal in canada, spring has sprung in NJ :)

yesterday was 70 today was high sixties.

the greenhouse  looks great!

oh this pic isnt comming up?

http://www.theworkshop.ca/energy/grnhouse/South%20wall%20plan.jpg

« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 11:41:58 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

FrankG

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 03:48:35 AM »
Hey WilliB,

We're headed for good weather now as well...

Thanks for the note about the image it's now also showing.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 03:48:35 AM by FrankG »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 07:40:23 AM »
hello frank, thats a nice project. it will be a nice place to sit. hope the solar chimmney works out.  in addition,you might want to place a fan in the system that would allow you to pull warm  fresh air from the green house into the shop.

as far as the farmer protest goes, KEEP UP THE PRESSURE ! i say the only reason we have a government is to protect us. are we a nation or just a place for multi-national corporations to make profit? personaly, i would wait for all the members of parlament to get inside . then block the doors with manure spreaders. i wouldn't let them out untill they passed some protective legislation!

on a subject less revolutionary how you coming with  your harddrive mag geni? perhaps farmers can begin to harvest the wind.

good luck, shawn

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 07:40:23 AM by electrondady1 »

FrankG

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 04:09:23 AM »
Shawn,

Today I assemble the Chimney... and hope to post the progress by the weekend.

The idea is to devise a simple manifold that vents the greenhouse heat out via the chimney (and draw the hot air off the ceiling of the machine-shop, located directly beneath) using just convection or purely passive with no external energy inputs during the summer. While in the later fall the manifold can be turned 180 degrees and the grnhouse heat (above some predetermined threshold) will be blown down into the shop.

All of this is largely the spawn of the DS1615 data-collector project.

As to the HD Gen, it has been at a stand-still as I've been concluded that the 7 1/2" saw blades would never cut-it (so to speak) as rotor plates. I did recently recieve a 4 by 8 ft sheet of 1/4" plate (used) that will be plasma cut into disks.

But there are 2 hold-ups on that front as my chum with the plasma cutter is keen to have me build him a 24" by 24" cnc framework for his cutter, and I suspect that the disk will be the proto-type pieces that he is expecting to calibrate the machine against.

And to further complicate matters I've started the CNC Blade cutter that has a projected working area of 18" by 50" so I've lost almost 50 sq ft of my shop to that project which will have to be finished before I can start onto the Plasma cutter.

One solution that would accelerate progress on every project on the farm but would leave my chum out in the cold is to just buy my own plasma cutter, but I can't justify such a high capital expense given that all I really do is tinker as the mood strikes me.

So if I can keep the shop cool enough through the summer I hope to have a working Gen by the fall.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 04:09:23 AM by FrankG »