Author Topic: a simple masonry heataccumulator  (Read 2125 times)

Stonebrain

a simple masonry heataccumulator
« on: November 29, 2007, 10:43:10 PM »
This realisation might interest some people.

The masonry of the accumulator contains about 120 firebricks(5cmx10cmx20cm) a total weight of 250-300 kg.

The pics will make things clear.

A view of the stove + accumulator + about 3m iron pipe.

A view from the side where you see the handle for opening and close the draft directly.

It's half opened here for visibility.It have to be opened when the masonry is completely cold.I nearly never have to open it because I light the fire every day and there is allways a bit heat left in the bricks,enough draft to start the fire without opening it.

This is the trap I made for cleaning the inside.I have to move the stove to have acces to it.I admid I didn't do it yet for 4 winters.I didn't notice a diminition of draft yet.Some times I try to light a chimnyfire for cleaning things up.To do this I make big flames in the stove when the bricks are hot and open the door from the stove.I didn't succeed yet,so it's ok.My stove makes very little creosote.After this winter I sure have to clean everything up though.

(disclaimer:don't try to clean your chimney this way.sweep it regularly instead.if you burn down your house following my exemple don't blame me)

The drawings are ment to be self explaining.They are not very clear but anyway the dimensions have to be adapted to the needs,depending the bricks,the diam of the pipe,etc

advantages:the heat from the exhaustgasses from the stove are partially recuperated and dissipated over a long period.Good for efficiency and for spreading out some of the heat over time.The downward draft in the frontchannel creates much turbulence and greatly improves heat exchange between the gasses and the bricks compared to an upward only chimney.

I have to show my stove too,I think it's very sophisticated.

The ashes are falling through holes that can be opend and closed.So you can choose to keep the ashes by closing,good for keeping the coals hot when you turn down the fire

or to open for starting up.You can regulate the draft coming through the holes with another handle

Here you see the small holes for preheated air above the fire and the opening ffor preheated air coming down in the front creating turbulence and cleaning the window.

There is a saperate handle for the air through this last hole.The small holes have a saparate air inlet on the back but there is no handle to regulate it.Maybe the manuffacturer thought this would be a handle too much.I blocked this opening patially with a piece of alufoil,because the small holes were blowing too strong.Some day I'll make a fourth handle for it on the stove.

The long winternight you can play with the handles and create some nice flames.So much better then television.

I'm so happy with my stove and heataccumulator,and so is my cat

cheers,

stonebrain

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:43:10 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: a simple masonry heataccumulator
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 04:20:44 PM »
The cat holding the smaller feline mammal looks pissed!

Beautiful home.  Ours is a construction zone since we bought it.

G-

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 04:20:44 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

chadking

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 01:29:10 AM »
Thanks for the pics and drawings!  The way the flapper for the draft works makes a lot of sense, and the setup is so simple.  I have read a lot about masonry stoves of various kinds, but it's seldom broke down as plainly as this.  I would like to attempt to build one someday, but it's down a little ways on my to-do list still.  Haha.

Thanks again, and good luck staying warm this winter!

Chad

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 01:29:10 AM by chadking »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 06:34:44 PM »
That's a pretty neat idea. Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 06:34:44 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

TimV

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 03:40:49 PM »
Great way to gain some extra btu's from your wood.

Looks great to !

Wood Iz Wonderful!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:40:49 PM by TimV »